RUPD investigates burglary in residence on Nichol Avenue near Douglass campus

and 
The perpetrator in this incident was not seen by any of the building's occupants. – Photo by Yumi Kimura / Wikimedia

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) is investigating a burglary that occurred on Saturday at approximately 12:45 p.m. in a residence on Nichol Avenue near Douglass campus, according to a University-wide email.

The victim of the incident, who is affiliated with the University, reported that they thought an unauthorized person was inside the residence.

The perpetrator was captured on camera entering the building through an unsecured access point and then exiting the residence before the RUPD arrived, according to the email. The perpetrator was not seen by any of the building's occupants.

The perpetrator was described as an approximately 5-foot-6-inch-tall Black male with a shaved head. He was reported to be wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt with a wide black horizontal strip across the chest and upper arms, red sweatpants and dark-colored sneakers.

The RUPD told students to take reasonable safety precautions, including staying alert to surroundings, reporting suspicious activity to the RUPD and only allowing people who they are familiar with inside residences, according to the email.

The RUPD also said that anyone who has information or who may have been in the area at the time contact the RUPD Detective Bureau.