NJ will receive $15.4 million to expand electric vehicle charging infrastructure this year

New Jersey will receive a total of $104.4 million over the next five years to support the expansion of electronic vehicle charging stations.  – Photo by Governor Phil Murphy / Twitter

Rep. Frank Pallone Jr. (D-6) announced yesterday that New Jersey will receive more than $15.4 million this year to improve the state’s existing infrastructure for charging electric vehicles, according to an article from NJ Advance Media. 

This funding aims to expand upon the network of chargers across the state, including rural and urban areas, and is part of the country’s efforts to construct a national network of electric vehicle chargers.

Pallone, who is also chairman of the US House of Representatives’ Energy and Commerce Committee, pushed for this funding in November 2021 when President Joseph R. Biden Jr.’s bipartisan infrastructure bill was signed into law, according to a press release

The legislation plans to reduce automobile emissions and help American automobile manufacturers stay competitive during the gradual worldwide transition to electric vehicles. As part of the $5 billion bill, New Jersey will receive $104.4 million over the next five years.

That amount would pay for approximately 600 charging stations, which contributes to Biden’s goal of having 500,000 nationwide stations by 2030, and may also increase the number of electric vehicles in the state, according to the article.

“This funding is a major step forward in our transition to a clean economy that will create local, good-paying jobs while simultaneously combating the growing climate crisis,” Pallone said. “Electric vehicles are the future, and this funding will help ensure America leads that future by making the necessary investments now.”

The total funding amount, $15,448,790, comes from the Department of Transportation’s National Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Program and will go toward building stations on the state’s interstate highways, other routes in the national highway system and schools and other public areas, according to the release.

New Jersey laws require at least 75 fast-charging stations along any major road, and there can be 25 miles at most between stations, according to the article. The state can compete in another grant program later this year for more funds that will provide access to charging stations, specifically for underserved communities.

“Electric vehicles save Americans tremendous money and are rapidly growing in popularity — by investing in the necessary charging and manufacturing infrastructure, we are making sure that trend can continue and that consumers are able to reliably power their cars across the country,” Pallone said.