Astrology could be key to your next wardrobe additions

It's Aquarius season, which means it's time to get creative with your next outfit choices and add something new to your wardrobe.  – Photo by Jason Lei

If you’re looking to upgrade your closet for the upcoming spring season, or are going through yet another quarter-life crisis and need to change your style (again), using astrology might just be your best bet.

By now, we should all know our “big three” — your sun, moon and rising — but if you don't, check out a free calculator, like this one from Cafe Astrology. You need your birth date, location and time. For the purposes of discovering personal style, we're going to examine the rising sign.

In Western astrology, our rising sign (or the ascendant) dictates the “vibe” we give off and how we present ourselves to the world. The planet and the sign that rules our ascendant can greatly influence our appearance and the styles we gravitate toward and are suited to.

Other astrologers argue that Venus, the planet of love and beauty, can also be a good indicator of what styles we might like. Our Venus sign in particular can provide insights into what energies or aesthetics we are attracted to and can be very useful when deciding on how we want to feel in our outfits.

Whether you choose to follow your rising, Venus or both, here are some fashion insights for each of the 12 signs:

Aries

Known for their bold and athletic appearance, those with an Aries rising/Venus are known for rocking the athleisure aesthetic as well as the sexy look (those with a rising in Aries can take inspiration from Kourtney Kardashian, who embodies all things Aries).

These natives can easily rock loud colors and patterns and look especially great in red tones. Some recommendations include investing in tracksuits, a good pair of Air Force 1s and, for nights out, red leather pants.

Taurus 

Sensual and earthy, Taurus risings' signature is their effortless look. Since these natives love to remain comfortable, there's the danger of a Taurus Venus or rising getting a little predictable with their outfit choices.

Birkenstocks, earthy greens and browns and Dr. Martens are all staple pieces that those with Taurus placements would look excellent in. To prevent outfits from getting too routine, try adding in vintage accessories like gold rings and small shoulder bags to bring depth to your look.

Gemini 

Fun and playful, Gemini risings like to experiment with their looks and can have a bit of child-like energy, too — think neon colors or wacky patterns. Adding these to your outfit is the perfect solution to help you stand out. Pattern mixing is a must, and fun accessories like necklaces with phrases, party sunglasses and anything else funky is right up a Gemini rising's alley.

Cancer 

A Cancer rising's sweet appearance and rounded features are perfect for the cottagecore aesthetic. Romantic shades like baby pink and sunset tones are a must for building this placement's wardrobe.

Dresses and skirts with floral patterns and sweetheart neckline blouses with intricate detailing would suit the soft look of Cancer beautifully. Be sure to accompany your outfit with subtle jewelry and small heels or cream-colored shoes.

Leo 

Just like Gemini, Leo risings love to stand out but like to do so with a bit of opulence. Grand and fabulous Leo tends to splurge on appearances (as they should!), so designers like Gucci are a perfect fit for your expensive inspiration.

Embrace your bold side with orange and red tones — anything sparkly, sequined or looks like it would be on an Instagram model is a must. Be sure to complete your wardrobe with plenty of high heels and strappy sandals.

Virgo

Refined and modest Virgo risings have an "always put together, even when stressed" air to them. As a result, these natives enjoy having a simplistic style that isn’t made complicated by bright colors or too many accessories.

Think business casual: Loose-fitted blouses and a few pairs of jeans with simple accessories, like a watch or gold hoops, are key for the "clean" look that a Virgo loves to wear. To prevent your closet from going stale, add bits of personality with a few flashier accessories, like a chunky shoe or a leather belt. This allows you to look minimalistic — without blending into the background.

Libra

Known for their natural beauty and luxurious aesthetic, Libra risings love to stay on trend and enjoy spending both time and money on crafting their wardrobes.

Blush tones suit these natives well as well as nude tones and browns. If you haven’t invested in anything designer yet, brands like Chanel and Kate Spade offer a variety of stylish accessories that can accompany any look (and if you can’t afford the sticker price, check consignment shops like Poshmark or Plato’s Closet).

Scorpio

Seductive, mysterious and sexy, Scorpio risings are known for their intense energy and magnetic appearance. These natives naturally gravitate toward darker shades and look incredible in lace, leather and silk.

While the monochrome black look is timeless, try opting for wine red, plum and maroon tones instead. Black heels, combat boots and a leather jacket are must-have closet staples. If you’re feeling a bit risqué, a lace corset with jeans is a killer combination.

Make sure to add flair to your look with dark nail polish and edgy accessories, like chokers and metal rings.

Sagittarius 

The vibrant and adventurous Sagittarius rising loves their freedom — and they love to twist classics with their own personal flair.

A Sagittarius placement's outfit should be as creative as they are, so opt for prints like checkers, polka dots and stripes. Having the entire ROYGBIV selection is a must as their style tends to transform day-to-day and should be broad enough for plenty of experimentation.

The same applies to their need to have a vast collection of accessories — to start building yours, you can find cheap but versatile accessories from stores such as Forever 21 or even Claire’s.

Capricorn 

Known best for their serious disposition, neat look and air of refinement, Capricorn risings tend to have a mature appearance and opt to avoid flashier clothes. They prefer to stick to the classics and can be modest or have a more conservative style.

Capricorn looks best in dark colors like blacks and grays, as well as neutral tones. Blouses, slacks, skirts and button-down shirts in a few colors are essentials for the organized and classy Capricorn.

But, as an Earth element, comfort still comes above all else: Make sure to stock your closet with matching jogger-hoodie sets and long-lasting, reliable pairs of sneakers or slip-ons for your chill days.

Aquarius 

Notoriously the rebels of the zodiac, Aquarius risings are known for having unconventional taste and for always making a statement with their look (think 70s rockstar David Bowie). 

Unconcerned with designer brands and conventional fashion, Aquarius placements look their best when they can authentically express themselves. Political streetwear, tie-dye print, patterned pants and statement shoes are all up their alley. Dyed hair and piercings can easily accentuate the rebellious vibes these natives have.

But if you’re interested in a more subtle look, try incorporating elements of 70s and 80s flair (bell bottoms, chunky platforms or bead necklaces) into your outfits, and look to boutiques and thrift stores to build vintage pieces into your wardrobe.

Pisces 

Pisces ascendants are known for their dreamy, ethereal disposition and tend to have softer features (famous Pisces rising Billie Eilish is a perfect embodiment of this).

Therefore, natives with Pisces rising/Venus would look stunning in comfortable clothing that's one-of-a-kind — think Depop or Etsy shops and online thrift stores. A soft pastel color palette, like lavender, sage and baby blue, would compliment a Pisces' delicate appearance. Thin bracelets, lockets and vintage accessories can help complete these looks.

The most important thing to remember is your rising is your expression of self — so express yourself! When it comes to astrology, focus on what resonates with you. Personally, I like to use it as a tool for self-improvement and connecting to my most authentic self, but your chart (and your wardrobe) are your oyster.