Rutgers women's basketball travels to face No. 17 Maryland

Junior forward Tyia Singleton posted her second double-double of the season against Ohio State. – Photo by Emma Garibian

Looking to build off of a 24-point performance from graduate student forward Osh Brown and a double-double from junior forward Tyia Singleton, the Rutgers women’s basketball team will travel to College Park, Maryland, for a Thursday night matchup against Maryland. The Scarlet Knights (7-13, 0-8) lost a competitive matchup with Ohio State in their last game, remaining winless since Dec. 18, 2021, when they defeated Wagner.

“I think, if we can continue to do the things that we did today and correct those little things that we didn’t do well, we’re getting to where we need to be,” said acting head coach Timothy Eatman after the most recent game. “It didn’t show up as a win, but I think where we’re going is really good.”

Rutgers reached 70 points for the first time in 2022 against the Buckeyes (15-3, 7-2) and did so with efficient shooting, making more than half of its field goal attempts. In addition to the performances from Brown and Singleton, senior guard Lasha Petree added 18 points, hitting 7 of her 9 attempts from the free throw line.

The Knights continue to be one of the better defensive teams in the Big Ten, ranking second in the conference in defensive scoring average, sixth in opponent shooting percentage and first in rebounds allowed per game. The 80 points Ohio State scored were tied for the most given up by Rutgers all season yet still was less than the Buckeyes’ season average. 

The No. 17 Terrapins (13-6, 5-3) are coming off of a 28-point win over Northwestern on Sunday. They utilized an efficient three-point shooting night, hitting 18 of their 31 attempts from behind the arc. Four different players reached double-digit scoring in the victory, with Katie Benzan dropping 17 points to lead the way for Maryland.

For the season, Angel Reese has been the top contributor for the Terrapins, leading the program with more than 17 points per game and also averaging more than 10 rebounds per game. Maryland has been dominant at the XFINITY Center this season, going 9-1 with the lone loss coming against then No. 11 Michigan.

This will be the second and final matchup this season between the two programs, with the Terrapins taking a 14-point win at Jersey Mike’s Arena on Livingston campus in early December. Since 2007, Maryland is 11-2 against the Knights.

Rutgers faces off against the Terrapins on Thursday at 7 p.m. The game will be broadcasted on Big Ten Network+ and 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For more updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.