Rutgers women's basketball falls to Purdue after buzzer-beater ends comeback

Senior guard Destiny Marshall put up 9 points against Purdue.  – Photo by Dakota Moyer / Scarletknights.com

Despite coming back from a 21-point deficit in the second half, the Rutgers women’s basketball team lost to Purdue 60-58 after a buzzer-beating layup from Jeanae Terry. The Scarlet Knights (7-8, 0-3) outscored the Boilermakers (10-4, 1-2) 30-12 over the last 14 minutes of the game, but the game-ending basket keeps them winless in Big Ten play this season.

The first quarter saw contrasting offensive attacks from the two teams. Rutgers scored five buckets in the first ten minutes, with all of them coming from inside the paint and all of them being scored by different players. Purdue’s offense came from beyond the arc, hitting four three-pointers and taking a seven-point lead into the next period. 

The first half ended with the Boilermakers expanding on their lead, as 5 points from Brooke Moore saw a 31-19 score at the halftime break. The Knights were held to 8 points as a team, only making three of their 15 attempts from the field. 

The first five minutes of the third quarter followed the pattern of the first half, as Purdue broke the game open and took a 21-point lead. Rutgers was not ready for the game to be over, and 8 points from sophomore forward Chyna Cornwell helped them make the game competitive, cutting the lead to 11 going into the fourth quarter. 

The fourth saw graduate student guard Victoria Morris take control of the comeback, hitting three clutch jump shots in the final five minutes including a game-tying basket with 47 seconds left.

The Knights had a chance to take the last shot of the game, but the ball went out of bounds with 3 seconds left, giving the Boilermakers the opportunity to get the ball to Terry for the game winner. This loss snaps a five-game winning streak Rutgers had in the series against Purdue.

Morris led the Knights in scoring, dropping 16 points on a season-high six made field goals. Cornwell’s scoring outburst in the third helped her set a new career high of 9 points. Senior guard Destiny Marshall also contributed 9 points, her highest mark as a member of the program. 

Rutgers looks to earn their first win of the new year when they face off against Minnesota on Thursday night. The game will be at Jersey Mike’s Arena on Livingston Campus at 7 p.m. and will be broadcasted on Big Ten Network+ and 88.7 WRSU FM.

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.