Rutgers women's basketball falls to No. 17 Maryland

Graduate student guard Sayawni Lassiter had 6 points and four assists in the loss to Maryland. – Photo by Emma Garibian

The Rutgers women’s basketball team was not able to overcome its ranked opponent, losing 72-55 against Maryland at XFINITY Center. The Scarlet Knights (7-14, 0-9) remain at the bottom of the Big Ten standings, dropping their seventh consecutive game while also falling to 0-9 on the road this season.

The No. 17 Terrapins (14-6, 6-3) immediately took control of the ballgame, taking a 10-point lead while holding Rutgers to less than 25 percent shooting in the first quarter. A three-pointer from graduate student guard Sayawni Lassiter gave the Knights a 3-2 lead in the 1st minute of the game, but this was the last time that they would hold a lead.

Rutgers closed the lead going into halftime, outscoring Maryland 17-11 behind 6 second-quarter points from fifth-year senior guard Destiny Marshall, who set a new season-high with 10 points off of the bench. Lassiter and graduate student forward Osh Brown scored the final two baskets of the half, making it a 4-point game going into the halftime break.

The opening minutes of the second half saw the Knights keep the game competitive, with a jumper from junior guard Awa Sidibe cutting the lead to just 1 point. But the Terrapins took control again late in the third, with a pair of threes from Katie Benzan helping to extend the lead to 13 going into the final 3 minutes.

The game’s result was in little question in the fourth quarter as Maryland would keep Rutgers at a double-digit deficit for the remainder of the contest. Nine points from Chloe Bibby helped the Terrapins secure the victory, improving 10-1 this season in front of their fans in College Park, Maryland. 

Bibby led all scorers with 22 points, and was 1 of 4 players for Maryland who finished with double-digit scoring. Marshall and Brown were the only Knights who reached 10 points as Brown also recorded 12 rebounds for another double-double this season.

Rutgers will return to Jersey Mike’s Arena on Livingston Campus on Sunday, where the team will look for its first win of 2022 against Michigan State. The game will tip off at 2 p.m. and will be broadcasted on Big Ten Network+.

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.