Rutgers women's basketball extends winning streak, defeats Wagner 73-54

Graduate student guard Jailyn Mason earned her 1,000th career point against Wagner. – Photo by Dakota Moyer / Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers women’s basketball team extended their home winning streak today, defeating Wagner 73-54 for their third straight victory at Jersey Mike’s Arena on Livingston campus. The Scarlet Knights (7-7, 0-2) were led by a balanced offensive attack, with four players scoring in double figures and nine players putting up points. 

Rutgers jumped out to a lead that they would never surrender early in the first quarter, with graduate student forward Osh Brown scoring two early baskets in the paint to get the game going. The Knights stretched the lead to 7 late in the first, but a late run from the Seahawks (7-2, 0-0) saw a 12-10 score after the first ten minutes.

The second quarter saw Rutgers really take control of the action, outscoring Wagner 28-16 to take a 12 point lead into the halftime break. Two free throws from Katrice Jackson tied the game at 12, but the Knights responded with nine unanswered points from four different players. The three-pointer was a big part of the scoring, as Rutgers hit three of their six attempts from behind the arc. 

After halftime, the Seahawks outscored the Knights in the third quarter, but only by two points as the lead remained in the double digits. Rutgers was held to just four field goals in the quarter, as Alex Cowan attempted to engineer a comeback with multiple three-pointers. Graduate student guard Jailyn Mason provided much of the scoring for the Knights, with 8 third-quarter points.

The final ten minutes saw Rutgers secure the victory by outscoring Wagner 19-12. The Knights shot over 54 percent from the field and held the Seahawks to a 23 percent shooting quarter. 

Rutgers proved to be very efficient throughout the whole game, making over half of their shots and 40 percent of their attempts from behind the three-point line. The Knights dominated the game close to the basket, registering 36 points in the paint and holding Wagner to just 8 points. 

Mason led the game in scoring after coming off of the bench, scoring 17 points on just eight shots which put her at 1,000 career points. Brown continued to lead the program in rebounding, registering 11 to go along with her 12 points for another double-double. 

After three non-conference games, Rutgers continues Big Ten play on Dec. 30, hosting Indiana at 8 p.m. in Piscataway. The game will be broadcasted on Fox Sports 1 and 88.7 WRSU FM. 

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.