PARK: Start shopping small

Column: The Queue

Instead of shopping online or at big retailers, shop local to support your local community.  – Photo by Pxhere.com

As college students, we often take advantage of buying things in bulk at Costco and using Amazon Prime to ship things to our doors within 24 hours. When you look at the tags of our clothes, there is no doubt that most come from fast fashion companies with big names. We all know it is bad, but we can all say that we have done it.

When it comes to convenience and price tags, big box stores are hard to ignore, but they can be the root of a lot of issues for businesses in your community that you can help. 

There is no denying small businesses are greatly impacted by the variety of changes that happen in a community. Many were forced to close down during the pandemic, and others can be hurt by environmental challenges like floods and snowstorms. 

Big corporations are taking a huge toll on the success of small businesses, and it is up to the locals in such communities to support those businesses. Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales also incentivize people to shop at bigger markets, and it is hard for smaller and locally owned places to compete. 

Not to mention, big businesses cause a lot of waste. Manufacturing, mass production, packaging and distribution all take a lot of energy and water. Many smaller businesses try to stick with fewer resources and limit their negative environmental impact. Local businesses also like to be engaged in social issues and with their communities — they are more likely to support organizations whether that be local, national or global. 

This does not mean shifting all of your shopping to local mom and pop stores, but changing where you buy your daily coffee or your books and paper goods might cause a big impact. 

Shopping local and small helps to provide jobs, and it puts your money into the local economy. Our global economy is important, but keeping money close helps our communities flourish. Independent retailers consume 47.7 percent of the local recirculation of revenue, while national chains only take in 13.6 percent, according to studies run by Civic Economics.

In terms of the restaurant industry, the independent local recirculation of revenue is more than double that of national chains. For many shop owners, this may be their main source of income, and they have to compete with big companies like Amazon, Walmart and Target as well as big chain restaurants like Chick-fil-A and Dunkin’. 

Of course, it is impossible to make that automatic switch, and you are not going to be able to shop small for all of your needs. But prioritize them when you think about the things you may need. Many towns and cities welcome farmers' markets that locally source fresh produce, plants and goods. In the summer months, the New Brunswick Community Farmers' Market has three locations all near campus. 

As for the price, the slightly higher prices at small retailers might be enough to drive customers away. But you have to think about why they cost that much. Here, you are paying for customer service, care and time.

Big corporations are often found using mass production to bang out thousands of products in a matter of seconds. If you are shopping at a local candle shop, chances are they probably make them in the back and package them by hand. 

Right here at Rutgers, there are lots of small businesses you can shop from. Hidden Grounds on Easton — just past the Barnes & Noble — carries coffees and chai that easily rival the convenience of our prized "Yardbucks." They roast their own coffee beans that they source from Ethiopia and Honduras. They also serve authentic masala chai, paying homage to the founder’s Indian roots.

Another is the Second Reformed Thrift Shop, located on Stone Street on the College Avenue Campus. It is a part of the College Avenue Community Church, and their sales go to the Five Loaves Food Pantry. They are open on Wednesdays and Fridays and post regularly on their Facebook. Thrifting helps reduce waste and make use of some clothes that might otherwise be on their way to the landfill. 

Sure, there is no way to buy a new laptop or phone from a small business, and the best you can get is going directly to the Apple store. But when it comes to the holiday season, think about supporting your local businesses and shopping small. Check within your hometowns or on online sources like Etsy. You may be helping a lot more people than you think.

Annabel Park is a Rutgers Business School first-year majoring in marketing and minoring in journalism. Her column, "The Queue," runs on alternate Fridays.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.