No. 12 Rutgers wrestling remains undefeated with 41-3 over American

Graduate student 197-pounder Greg Bulsak earned the Knights' fourth technical fall of the evening. – Photo by Rutgers Wrestling / Twitter

The Rutgers wrestling team earned another dominant victory this weekend, defeating American 41-3 on Friday night in Washington, D.C. The win saw the program earn its largest margin of victory since the 2019 season opener over LIU.

The No. 12 Scarlet Knights (9-0, 0-0) won 9 of their 10 matches in their dual-season opener. The evening began in dramatic fashion, with freshman 125-pounder Dylan Shawver winning 5-4 over Andy Fallon in a tight match that saw Shawver escape a reversal in the last minute of the match. 

Freshman 133-pounder Devon Britton was the only Rutgers wrestler to lose a match, as he dropped a 6-2 decision to Jack Maida that tied up the dual meet at 3.

The Knights came roaring back in the following match, as No. 4/3 graduate student 141-pounder Sebastian Rivera continued his strong start to the season with a 20-3 technical fall over Ethan Szerencsits in the second period. The win moves Rivera to 7-0 on the season, with all seven of those wins coming with bonus points.

Senior 157-pounder Michael VanBrill started off with a quiet first period before getting a second period pin on Patrick Ryan in 4:35. The one-two punch blew open Rutgers’ lead to 14-3 after just four matches. The dominant run continued in the fifth match, as freshman 157-pounder Robert Kanniard won a 17-2 technical fall over Antonio Segura in the third period to make it 19-3 at the midway point of the meet.

Freshman 149-pounder Andrew Clark kept the streak alive in a dramatic fashion. Trailing 3-0 through two periods, Clark was able to escape from bottom at the start of the third and get a 2-point takedown to tie it at 3 before the riding time earned him the go-ahead point to earn a 4-3 decision over Tim Fitzpatrick.

Freshman 174-pounder Connor O’Neill started off strong with a 6-0 early lead in his match against Colin Shannon thanks to an early near fall. Shannon was able to get some points back to make it close, but O’Neill came away with a 10-7 decision.

It was another dominant showing for No. 5 freshman 184-pounder John Poznanski, who blew open an 18-4 lead over Mervin Mancia in a first period that saw Poznanski earn four takedowns and earn 10 back points. Poznanski ended the match early in the second period with the escape points getting a 20-4 technical fall.

No. 13/17 graduate student 197-pounder Greg Bulsak kept the Knights' streak alive, earning Rutgers’ fourth technical fall of the evening with a 16-0 victory over Carsten Rawls. Sophomore 285-pounder Boone McDermott led his match 9-1 over Isaac Righter in the third period before Righter was disqualified on an unsportsmanlike conduct call.

The Knights continue their dual meet schedule on Friday at 7 p.m., facing off against Army at Jersey Mike’s Arena on the Livingston campus.

For updates on the Rutgers wrestling team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.