Rutgers women's basketball hosts South Alabama, Fairfield in weekend matchups

Sophomore guard Liz Martino led the Knights in their season opener with 11 points.  – Photo by Emma Garibian

After a 21-point victory to open up the season at Jersey Mike’s Arena on Livingston campus, the Rutgers women’s basketball team prepares for two more home games this weekend, facing South Alabama on Friday and Fairfield on Sunday. 

The Scarlet Knights (1-0, 0-0) had 11 different players score points in the 59-38 victory over Saint Peters, the most in a game since the 2018-2019 season. Sophomore guard Liz Martino led the game with 11 points, adding a career-high six assists and four steals to help the program defeat the Peacocks (0-1, 0-0). 

"It's a great time to be a Scarlet Knight alongside our Big Ten Champion field hockey and women's soccer teams," said head women's basketball coach Timothy Eatman, who is taking the role of head coach after C. Vivian Stringer announced she would not return this season. "We're looking forward to the challenge of living up to that standard of success. We were proud of playing with great effort and passion, although we didn't make a lot of shots, those things are going to come in time."

Rutgers is typically anchored by an aggressive defense that causes lots of turnovers, and this season seems to be no different. The Knights were able to cause 34 turnovers in the opener, the most for the program in a game since the 2014-2015 season.

With multiple transfers making their debut in Piscataway this year, graduate student forward Osh Brown looks to be one of the leaders of the program. Brown, who transferred from Ball State in the offseason, provided 8 points and 11 rebounds, adding to her rebound total that has her as the active career leader for Division I players.  

The Jaguars (1-0, 0-0), who make the trek to Jersey Mike’s Arena on Friday, are coming off of a 63-59 victory over Mobile in their opening game. They were led by a 14-point performance from Mahogany Vaught, who also recorded three steals after leading the Sun Belt in steals per game last season. Zena Elias recorded a double-double with 13 points and 13 rebounds.

The Stags (1-0, 0-0) are also coming off of a victory in their season opener, with a 76-52 effort against Brown. Lou Lopez-Senechal recorded her 1,000th career point in the game, and she was 1 of 4 Fairfield players to reach double-digit scoring. Callie Cavanaugh led with a team-high and career-high 20 points in the winning effort. 

Rutgers faces South Alabama at 7 p.m. on Friday. The game will be broadcasted on Big Ten Network+ and 88.7 WRSU for radio listeners. The Knights match up with the Stags in a 2 p.m. matinee on Sunday, with WRSU once again providing radio coverage. 

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.