Skip to content

Rutgers field hockey defeats Indiana 3-1 in Big Ten quarterfinal

Senior back Liz Romano and the Rutgers field hockey team defeated Indiana 3-1 yesterday to advance to the Big Ten Tournament semifinals. – Photo by Olivia Thiel

After a record-breaking regular season, the No. 3 Rutgers field hockey team claimed victory in the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals over No. 7 Indiana 3-1. 

The comeback win serves as head coach Meredith Civico’s 100th career win.

“This is just an absolute testament to the players on this team and that have been a part of this program over my 10 years here, so it’s just incredible,” Civico said. “To have so many so people, players on the team, and staff members want this for you makes it even more special.”

The Scarlet Knights (16-3, 6-2) opened the game with offensive pressure. The ensuing shot led to a scramble in front of senior goalkeeper Gianna Glatz who was able to make a save. The Hoosiers (10-10, 2-6) broke the scoreless tie with a goal a little more than 6 minutes into the game.

Rutgers managed a total of three shots in the first frame. Indiana had them beat with four shots. 

The Knights controlled the offensive plays at the beginning of the second quarter. They were awarded a corner less than a minute into play. The corner was unsuccessful, but Rutgers was given a penalty stroke. Senior midfielder Milena Redlingshoefer converted the stroke, her seventh goal this season and tying the game at 1. 

Graduate student midfielder Katie Larmour had an opportunity to score when she stole the ball just in front of the midfield and drove to her left but her shot was unsuccessful. 

Minutes later Glatz kicked away a near breakaway and kept the score tied. Glatz, a Big Ten Co-Player of the Year finished the day with three saves.

“We stayed composed, we play together, we played as a team and we solved problems on the field,” Glatz said.

With 3 minutes to go in the half, the Hoosiers were flagged for an illegal substitution. The yellow card resulted in a 5-minute penalty that carried over into the second half. 

After 30 minutes of play, the Knights led in shots 5-4 and in corners 2-1.

The card didn’t lead to any scores, but the defensive unit for Rutgers barely touched the ball in the third quarter as the Knights’ offense did what it could to keep the ball on their attacking side. Indiana struggled to clear the ball. Most opportunities they had were squashed by a Rutgers triple team. The Knights had a corner but a shot from senior back Liz Romano missed the net. 

Seven minutes into the third quarter, sophomore forward Bridy Molyneaux broke the tie when she redirected a left to right shot in front of the goal from junior forward Rachel Houston. It was Molyneaux’s 4th goal in 3 games.

Early in the final frame, Houston was called for a yellow card. Glatz stood strong in the final minutes, making a kick save to keep the lead. Indiana pulled their goalie with less than 4 minutes remaining. Freshman midfielder Lucy Bannatyne capitalized, making the game 3-1.  

The Hoosiers threatened late with a corner but it was turned away.

They will face No. 3 Penn State or No. 6 Maryland today at 4:30 at Bauer Track and Field on Busch campus.

“Every game is going to be different in the Big Ten,” said senior back Kerrie Burns. “Today’s game was grit, we had to fight to end, tomorrow’s game is going to be totally different.”

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

Related Articles


Join our newsletterSubscribe