Officials arrest suspect in fatal shooting near Easton Avenue, Condict Street

The area of Easton Avenue and Condict Street was closed temporarily for a police investigation following a shooting yesterday. – Photo by Tom Gilbert

The New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) and the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office are investigating a shooting that reportedly took place yesterday around Easton Avenue and Condict Street, according to a University-wide email.

At approximately 2:39 a.m. yesterday, one person who is unaffiliated with the University received a gunshot injury, according to the email. He died from the wound following local hospitalization.

The NBPD arrested a 20-year-old male named Justin Landrum from Staten Island, New York minutes after the incident, according to the email. He has been charged with first-degree murder for the shooting and second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm and will be taken to the Middlesex County Adult Correction Center.

The shooting seems to be a deliberate act based on a preliminary investigation, according to the email.

Easton Avenue was briefly shut down yesterday morning between Hamilton Street and Condict Street due to police activity, according to a separate email alert.

Anyone with information regarding the incident or who may have been around at the time should contact the NBPD’s Detective Bureau or the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office.

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) reminded students to stay alert to their surroundings, avoid dark or isolated areas and travel in groups during late nights.