Murphy signs executive order accelerating reduction of NJ greenhouse gas emissions

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) said this executive order is a necessary aspect of the state's climate change efforts. – Photo by Olivia Thiel

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) signed an executive order yesterday to accelerate New Jersey’s current goals regarding the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions as part of the state’s climate change response, according to an article from NJ Advance Media.

Murphy previously set the goal of creating a 100 percent clean-energy economy by 2050 with an 80 percent reduction in state-generated greenhouse gasses, according to the article. The new executive order will expedite this reduction goal to 50 percent by the year 2030, better aligning the state’s goals with federal benchmarks set by President Joseph R. Biden's administration.

Murphy said identifying ways to immediately combat climate change has grown increasingly important, especially as New Jersey continues to face powerful storms such as Hurricane Ida.

“The science is clear,” he said. “More severe impacts are happening now. The time for wake-up calls is frankly long past. And while we can’t turn back the clock, we also can’t keep hitting snooze.”

Murphy said another focus for reducing greenhouse gas emissions throughout the state includes revamping transportation, according to the article. He said the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection and the Board of Public Utilities will allot more than $13 million to help communities with air quality issues to purchase electric school buses and municipal trucks.

The funding for this aid comes from proceeds received by the state for reentering the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative, which is a multi-state cap-and-trade program, with the state receiving $170 million in carbon credits in total.

In addition, Murphy announced that the New Jersey Economic Development Authority will put an extra $20 million into its program to further aid municipalities in purchasing electric vehicles, according to the article. 

“With a $33 million investment in clean transportation projects and an interim greenhouse gas reduction target of 50 (percent) below 2006 levels by 2030, we are taking the critical steps to secure New Jersey’s clean energy future,” he said in a tweet yesterday.