Jersey Mike's Subs signs multi-million dollar contract for naming rights to Rutgers Athletic Center

Jersey Mike's Subs will have signage in and around the arena, which is home to a number of sports.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers Athletic Center is being renamed to Jersey Mike’s Arena following a multi-year agreement between Rutgers Athletics and Jersey Mike’s Subs to make the sandwich chain a naming rights partner.

Rutgers will make approximately $28 million over the next 20 years from the contract, with the name change becoming effective immediately, according to NJ Advance Media

Athletics Director Pat Hobbs said Athletics has been in conversation with Jersey Mike’s Subs for at least three years about a potential naming rights deal, according to the article.

"Jersey Mike's is the perfect partner for Rutgers Athletics," Hobbs said, according to a press release. "Our New Jersey brand extends beyond our borders, it is a state of mind that speaks to our core values of grit and the pursuit of excellence. Jersey Mike's is an organization also engaged in the relentless pursuit of excellence, so what better partner for the state university of New Jersey?"

As part of the deal, Jersey Mike’s Subs is posed to benefit from signage in and around the stadium, including on the scoreboard and the court.

The chain is also expected to receive promotion from media, including print, digital and radio as well as televised sporting events. The arena is home to men’s and women’s basketball, wrestling, volleyball and gymnastics.

"Rutgers University is a home state neighbor that shares our values of excellence and community involvement," said Peter Cancro, founder and CEO of Jersey Mike's Subs, according to the release. "Jersey Mike's is proud to partner with Rutgers Athletics and celebrate the school's many dedicated student-athletes and their fans.”