Ethan Halm is named Rutgers' first vice chancellor of population health

Ethan Halm will lead Rutgers' research and innovation in population health in this newly created position. – Photo by Rutgers.edu

Rutgers established a new role to oversee scholarship and innovation surrounding population health, an area of health care that seeks to improve health outcomes for populations with chronic conditions while reducing health care costs, according to a press release.

Ethan Halm, a professor of Internal Medicine and Population and Data Sciences at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, will join Rutgers as the University’s first vice chancellor of population health in January 2022. 

In his role, Halm will work to facilitate data-based population health research and initiatives throughout Rutgers Health, RWJBarnabas Health and University Hospital in Newark, according to the release. 

Additionally, he will oversee RWJBarnabas Health’s new Consortium of Population Health, which fosters collaboration between population health investigators, educators, students and clinicians. 

Prior to serving in this position, Halm worked for the past 13 years as chief of the Division of General Internal Medicine and director of the Program in Outcomes and Health Services Research at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center.

“I am very excited to join the Rutgers and RWJBarnabas Health leadership teams to help advance the population health agenda across all aspects of our clinical care, research, education and community engagement activities,” Halm said. “By doing so, we can improve health and reduce disparities in the populations and communities we serve and be a state and national leader in this emerging field.”