EDITORIAL: Rutgers celebrates Halloween like never before

Halloween was a raging success this past weekend, and we hope that your partook in the fun

Halloween, rain or shine, was a success this past weekend.  – Photo by Matan Dubnikov

When we were in elementary school, the week leading up to Halloween was like no other. Our teachers gave us pumpkin themed assignments, sent us home with a handful of candy and we meticulously planned our costumes, begging our parents for a quick trip to Party City.

The night of, we would find our friends, reluctantly put on jackets and sweaters over those costumes and hit the streets to fill our pillowcases with candy. Strawberry candies would appear seemingly out of nowhere and loose candy corn would collect at the bottom of our bags. The best part though, was sitting around after the night came to an end, sorting and swapping candy that would last for days. 

The anticipation before and pure enjoyment of Halloween is something we have not yet outgrown. Though the way we celebrate is different now that we are in college and not third grade, the spirit of Halloween, the feeling of putting on a costume, be it goofy or be it cool, and having a good night with your friends has not changed. There is something special in the air the night of Halloween. 

So when our night of perusing the College Avenue campus on Oct. 31 was canceled last year, we felt rightfully slighted. Halloween was one of the many college experiences swallowed up by the pandemic. Sitting at home with our families eating candy right out of the bag and experiencing terrible bouts of the fear of missing out was painful. There was no reward after weeks of midterms, nothing to look forward to during the mid-semester grind. 

And so this year, we turned out with a vengeance for what can only be described as a four-night party full of eccentric costumes and memories we will remember for a lifetime. 

Students, done with papers and exams, planned their parties and costumes, anticipation building. As it always does, it stormed in the middle of our weekend, but that did not stop anyone from going out in search of a good time. Umbrellas turned inside out and people held onto their costumes for dear life as it poured, but in all honesty, the spooky weather only made the weekend better. 

Buses drove around in the dark with lights on inside, like little display cases showcasing everyone’s costume. The New York City train was packed to the brim with people coming and going between parties and events. Everyone, and we mean everyone, was out on the streets.

If you closed your eyes and listened to the noise outside, you would hear the sound of laughter, compliments being doled out left and right and people going, “So what are you?” Watching New Brunswick come alive with students enjoying their time at Rutgers is a wonderful feeling, especially after over a year of experiencing being young from a distance. 

There was no shortage of dazzling costumes this year. Mustard bottles, lanternflies, Jesus, Secret Service agents, Harry Potters and Dr. Fauci crowded crosswalks while Elvises, Kardashians, pirates and one Marie Antoinette filled up sandwich shops looking for a quick meal between parties. Somewhere in the corner Buzz Lightyear made out with a "Squid Game" guard. 

While all these costumes were great, we can all agree that coordinated group and couples costumes really stole the show. Sandy and Danny, lemons and limes, John Lennon and Yoko Ono and Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy walked hand in hand. Roommates dressed up as each other and friend groups impersonated the Spice Girls among other groups. 

The best part of Halloween is that it is truly ubiquitous. Whether you were in a fraternity basement or at a small residence hall get-together, there was a gathering for everyone. The point was not to get out on the street, it was to have a little fun with your friends, be silly and dress up, and we can confidently say that almost everyone took part in a little bit of Halloween this past weekend. 

We might not be kids collecting candy anymore, but the spirit of Halloween, of taking yourself a little less seriously, enjoying your night with friends, has never left us. Halloween ended last night, but the excitement still lingers. Hold on to that feeling throughout the next few weeks as the semester ramps up again. Remember to have fun between your exams and classes and take advantage of the fact that we can get together in person and celebrate, because as we know all too well, we cannot take that for granted. 

We hope everyone enjoyed their Halloweekend and we look forward to Friendsgiving.

The Daily Targum's editorials represent the views of the majority of the 153rd editorial board. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.