Two Rutgers campuses make US News' Best Global Universities Rankings

In the U.S. News & World Report's Best Global Universities rankings, Rutgers—New Brunswick placed 130th this year. – Photo by Matan Dubnikov

Seven New Jersey universities, including two Rutgers campuses, have been named as among the top universities worldwide, according to the U.S. News & World Report’s 2022 Best Global Universities Rankings.

The list includes 1,750 universities from more than 90 countries and ranks them based on their academic research, as well as their global and regional standings. Last year, six New Jersey universities were included in the list: Princeton University, Rutgers—New Brunswick, Rutgers—Newark, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Montclair State University and Stevens Institute of Technology.

This year, the same six universities made the list with Rowan University rejoining at 1,607th place after dropping off last year, according to an article from NJ Advance Media.

Rutgers—New Brunswick fell from 113th place to 130th place, while Rutgers—Newark rose from 635th place to 600th place, according to NJ Advance Media. Princeton University came in 16th place this year, with New Jersey Institute of Technology in 813th place, Montclair State University in 1,167th place and Stevens Institute of Technology in 1,202nd place.

The top five listed universities, in order, are Harvard University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Stanford University, the University of California, Berkeley and the University of Oxford.

In terms of countries, the U.S. has the most universities listed at 271, followed by China at 235, Japan at 93, the U.K. at 89 and Germany at 70 universities, according to NJ Advance Media.

“As students, faculty and staff continue to navigate the pandemic, comparable school-specific data remains important to individuals exploring their higher education options,” said Kim Castro, editor and chief content officer of U.S. News & World Report.

The Best Global Universities Rankings use different criteria from the U.S. News & World Report’s annual Best National University Rankings last month, which focuses more on undergraduates in its evaluations, according to the article. Nine New Jersey colleges were included in that list, including Princeton University in first place, Rutgers—New Brunswick in 63rd place, Rutgers—Newark in 127th place and Rutgers—Camden in 148th place.