Snoop Dogg to headline concert for recent Rutgers graduates at SHI Stadium

Snoop Dogg will perform alongside rapper Warren G at the upcoming concert to honor Class of 2020 and 2021 Rutgers graduates. – Photo by Snoop Dogg / Twitter

Snoop Dogg is set to headline a celebration concert for recent Rutgers graduates that missed out on an in-person graduation ceremony and other celebrations due to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, according to a press release.

The concert will take place on Oct. 23 at 8:30 p.m. at SHI Stadium and will also feature a performance from rapper Warren G. This will be one of multiple events that Rutgers has planned across October and November to celebrate Class of 2020 and 2021 graduates from all campuses.

“I am looking forward to performing at Rutgers University to celebrate their student body and the release of my new record 'Algorithm,'” Snoop Dogg said. “It’s going to be a party to remember and the energy is going to be off the hook.”

All recent graduates are eligible to attend the event for free with one guest each and will receive priority registration for the tickets, which are also available to current Rutgers students, according to the release. 

Additional events celebrating graduates from Rutgers—New Brunswick will take place between Oct. 21 and 25, with Rutgers—Newark’s celebrations occurring between Nov. 8 and 10 and Rutgers—Camden’s on Nov. 10.

“We are excited to bring our newest alumni together in person to honor their accomplishments,” said University President Jonathan Holloway. “The Classes of 2020 and 2021 are a resilient group who have endured unexpected challenges with remarkable grace. We are thrilled to welcome them back to celebrate all they have achieved.’’

The University is paying $500,000 to hold the Snoop Dogg concert, which is the amount it would have used to pay for in-person commencement ceremonies over the past two years, according to an article from NJ Advance Media. Snoop Dogg is using $65,000 of this fee to cover the staging costs of the event.