Rutgers volleyball falls to Maryland

Despite the efforts of senior setter Inna Balyko, the Rutgers volleyball team lost to Maryland, extending its losing streak to 10 matches.  – Photo by Olivia Thiel

The Rutgers women’s volleyball team dropped another contest, losing yesterday evening in College Park to Maryland.

The loss was the Scarlet Knights’ (8-12, 0-9) 10th loss in a row, making them one defeat shy of tying their worst skid since 2019.

Rutgers had a rough start, including four service errors in the first 15 points of the match, but managed to keep pace with the top blocking team in the conference throughout the opening frame. In the first set, the score was even at 21 before the Terrapins (16-5, 4-5) ultimately took the first set 25-23.

The Knights took an early 8-2 lead in the second set, but Maryland was relentless, guided by 10 kills from Sam Csire, ending the frame 25-22.

It was a back and forth battle to begin the third set, as both squads struggled to build momentum. Senior right-side hitter Kamila Cieslik’s accurate hitting led Rutgers to a 15-11 advantage, but Csire and Rainelle Jones fueled yet another one of the Terrapins’ scoring burst, finishing off the Knights with a 25-20 third set victory.

Rutgers led the way in total attacks but trailed in nearly every other statistical category. Senior right-side hitter Beka Kojadinovic had eight kills, and Cieslik had seven, while senior setter Inna Balyko led the Knights with 10 digs and 27 assists. Rutgers has now dropped seven consecutive sets.

The Knights will look to get back on track Sunday as they conclude a four-game road trip in Bloomington against Indiana, a team Rutgers already lost to this season at home back on Oct. 8.

For updates on the Rutgers volleyball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.