Rutgers lifts suspension of two football players arrested in Sept. 20 paintball gun shooting

Rutgers football players Max Melton and Chris Long, both School of Arts and Sciences sophomores, played in the recent game against Northwestern following their suspension. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

Rutgers reinstated football players Chris Long and Max Melton, both School of Arts and Sciences sophomores, on Saturday after they served a three-game suspension following their arrest for shooting three students with a paintball gun, according to an article from NJ Advance Media.

The two football players both played in the recent game against Northwestern on Saturday after being suspended for approximately three weeks, according to the article.

"Upon gathering all the available information, we believed that now was the appropriate time for their return,” said head football coach Greg Schiano in a statement, according to an article from The Asbury Park Press.

Long and Melton were previously arrested on Sept. 21 and charged with three counts of aggravated assault and possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, The Daily Targum previously reported. The players were given summonses to appear in the Middlesex County Superior Court on Nov. 4.