Rutgers football falls to No. 7 Ohio State

The Rutgers football team suffered its second consecutive loss on Saturday, falling to Ohio State 52-13.   – Photo by Samantha Cheng

The Rutgers football team lost 52-13 on Saturday against Ohio State. The loss drops the Scarlet Knights (3-2, 0-2) to an all-time record of 0-8 against the No. 7 Buckeyes (4-1, 2-0) and to 0-2 to start Big Ten conference play.

Ohio State seized control of the game from the very beginning. After Rutgers failed to convert a fake punt attempt on its first drive of the game, the Buckeyes quickly turned around and scored on a 44-yard rushing touchdown by TreVeyon Henderson.

Ohio State would go on to score on its first seven possessions of the game and take a 45-6 lead into halftime. The Knights’ only points of the first half were scored on a 75-yard pass from senior quarterback Noah Vedral to junior wide receiver Aron Cruickshank.

Rutgers would find the end zone one more time in the fourth quarter when sophomore quarterback Cole Snyder found sophomore wide receiver Joshua Youngblood for a 12-yard touchdown pass.

“We had a bad day, and we had it against a team that’s finding their stride,” said head football coach Greg Schiano after the game. “The result was not something you'd like to see.”

Vedral finished his afternoon with 152 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions, one of which was returned for a touchdown. The Knights’ leading rusher for the game was freshman running back Jamier Wright-Collins while Cruickshank led the team in receiving.

Defensively, senior linebacker Olakunle Fatukasi led the team finishing with 10 tackles. In the sack department, freshman defensive lineman Wesley Bailey was the only Rutgers player to get to the quarterback in the game.

“This is a good group of young men, good coaches. We’ll figure it out,” Schiano said. “I think Ohio State played very well. I think it’s always easy to say we didn’t do this, we didn’t do that — they did some really good things.”

For the Buckeyes, C.J. Stroud threw for a career-high five touchdown passes to go along with 330 yards in the win. Stroud threw touchdowns to four different receivers, including two to Chris Olave, who also led the team in receiving with five receptions for 119 yards.

The Knights totaled 346 yards on the game compared to Ohio State’s 541 yards of offense. The Buckeyes also accumulated 208 yards on the ground and 25 first downs, both numbers that surpassed the Knights.

Rutgers will remain at home next week to take on Michigan State. The No. 11 Spartans (5-0, 2-0) will be the third consecutive ranked opponent the Knights will face this season. The game is set to kick off at noon and will be broadcasted on the Big Ten Network.

“That’s life in the Big Ten. Every week it's a tremendous challenge. That’s why I liken it to the National Football League ... you’ve got to find a way,” Schiano said. “But now we lost back-to-back ball games, so we need to stop that.”

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.