Rutgers field hockey looks toward weekend series with Michigan State, Lafayette

Freshman midfielder Lucy Bannatyne and the Rutgers field hockey team are set for their final two regular season games, facing Michigan State and Lafayette this weekend in Piscataway.  – Photo by Emma Garibian

Looking to wrap the regular-season slate with two victories, the No. 3 Rutgers field hockey team settles in for two home matches. The weekend’s first game from the Bauer Track and Field Complex on Busch campus comes against Michigan State and the second against Lafayette.

Having lost their last four games, all to teams the Scarlet Knights (13-3, 5-2) have defeated, the Spartans (7-7, 0-7) are the lowest-ranked team in the Big Ten. They last strung together back-to-back wins in early September. 

Opponents have a slight scoring advantage against Michigan State, 36-35, which comes from a larger shot disparity between the Spartans and opponents, ringing in at 273 to 166. A majority of Michigan State’s shots have come from Merel Hanssen. Her 6 goals and five assists are both good for the team lead. Her 34 shots, 23 on target also land her in the lead for the Spartans.

Michigan State has two 4-goal scorers within its ranks in Cara Bonshak and Ellie Rutherford. The Spartans have two scorers with 3 tallies each as well as seven players with 2 scores. 

Much like Michigan State’s scoring, their goalkeeping is almost evenly split. Monique Jardell started in eight games and played in another two. Jade Arundell got the nod in six games, with appearances in nine altogether.

When Rutgers and the Leopards (12-4, 3-2) take the field this Sunday, each team will be suited up for their last regular-season game. Lafayette played three Big Ten opponents going 1-2, while the Knights were 3-0 against the same opponents. 

Leading the Leopards in most offensive categories is Audrey Sawers. She has 9 goals, 11 helpers and 70 shots. Her 9 tallies are backed up by Molly McAndrew and Felicitas Hannes with 8 goals apiece. Another eight players have found the back of the net for Lafayette. 

Goalkeeper Hailey Abbott has been the Leopards’ go-to backstop with 16 starts, giving up 17 goals and making 57 saves. 

Rutgers has a tie for its top goal scorer. After scoring twice last weekend, freshman midfielder Lucy Bannatyne is knotted up with senior midfielder Milena Redlingshoefer with 6 goals. The duo has combined for 36 shots on goal. 

Redlingshoefer is riding a six-game points streak dating back to the middle of September. A majority of her goals have come from penalty strokes. 

Senior goalkeeper Gianna Glatz has appeared in all but two games for the Knights. She has earned five shutouts while putting up 58 saves and letting in 14 goals. 

Once action wraps up this weekend, Rutgers begins preparations for hosting the Big Ten Tournament that will be held the first weekend of November.

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.