RUPD arrests two individuals for aggravated assault

The Rutgers University Police Department arrested two people in connection with an aggravated assault but are still trying to identify and locate two others, pictured above. – Photo by Courtesy of Rutgers Crime Alert

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) arrested two individuals involved in an aggravated assault previously reported on Aug. 31 to have taken place around College Avenue and Bartlett Street, according to a University-wide email.

The alleged perpetrators, 18-year-old Adham A. Saleh from Cliffwood, New Jersey and 21-year-old Hassan M. Bayoumi from Highland Park, New Jersey, were arrested on Sept. 23 and Sept. 27, according to the email.

They were charged with aggravated assault and several other offenses, such as theft, rioting and unlawful possession of a weapon, according to the email. They were both released from custody and are scheduled to appear in the Middlesex County Superior Court.

In the incident, four people participated in assaulting two people affiliated with the University, The Daily Targum previously reported. One of the victims was hospitalized for injuries from a sharp weapon.

The RUPD continues to investigate and is attempting to identify the two other male perpetrators, according to the email. Anyone with information relevant to the investigation should contact the RUPD.

The RUPD told students to stay alert to their surroundings, report suspicious individuals or activity to the police and avoid dark or isolated areas. Escorts are also provided to members of the Rutgers community upon request.