RUPD arrests suspect involved in recent string of burglaries

The Rutgers University Police Department arrested the lone male suspect on Friday. – Photo by Pixabay.com

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) arrested the individual suspect involved in a string of recent burglaries that occurred within Rutgers affiliated buildings during the months of August and September, according to a University-wide email.

The alleged perpetrator, Herbert D. Oquendo Jr., a 54-year-old male from Newark, was arrested on Friday following an investigation conducted by the RUPD. 

He is facing multiple charges of burglary, theft and criminal mischief in connection to several burglaries on the College Avenue, Cook and Douglass campuses involving various items of value such as computers and other electronic devices. 

The burglaries that recently occurred in the Loree Gymnasium and Ruth Adams Building on Douglass campus, detailed by the University via two crime alerts sent on Sept. 13 and 27, were found to be connected to Oquendo, in addition to several other burglaries, according to the email.

The RUPD reminded students to keep their valuables attended or secured, avoid propping exterior doors open and report suspicious activity to the police. Escorts are also available to members of the Rutgers community by request.