No. 2 Rutgers field hockey heads out for final road trip of season

The Rutgers field hockey team looks to end its regular season away from Piscataway on a high note, as it faces Michigan and Ohio State in its final two road games.  – Photo by Tom Gilbert

The No. 2 Rutgers field hockey team will embark on its final road trip of the regular season this weekend with matchups against No. 3 Michigan and No. 18 Ohio State.

Entering the final two weeks of the season, the top five teams in the country are a part of the Big Ten. The Scarlet Knights (12-2, 4-1) have fared well against ranked and conference opponents, taking down four teams in the top 10.

The Wolverines (12-1, 4-1) have only allowed 13 goals to opponents. Anna Spieker does the majority of the netminding, making 37 saves and securing 12 wins.

Both teams have scored 30 or more goals on the offensive side. Sofia Southam has done the majority of the scoring for Michigan with 16 goals. Kathryn Peterson is second on the team with 4 goals and leads the Wolverines with seven assists.

The Buckeyes (7-7, 1-4) will come into Sunday’s game having played against No. 4 Penn State earlier in the weekend with the hopes of ending their two-game losing streak. Scoring for Ohio State comes from Leanne Bough’s 5 tallies, and Emma Goldean is second with 4 goals. There are two players with 3 goals and another three with 2.

The Buckeyes have had two goalkeepers — Aaliyah Hernandez has started 10 games and given up 14 goals while Abby Danson got the starting nod in five games. Danson has let up 12 goals.

Well-distributed scoring also benefits Rutgers as three players have 4 goals. Four players have 2 goals, and another four have 1. Senior midfielder Milena Redlingshoefer is beginning to break away from the pack with 6 goals. Redlingshoefer has also been accumulating assists with nine. Second on the team is senior back Kerrie Burns with three assists.

The Knights have been looking to senior goalkeeper Gianna Glatz as their last line of defense. Through 12 starts, Glatz has given up 10 goals and made 45 saves.

Following this weekend of play, Rutgers returns to the Banks for its last two games of the regular season. After that, the Knights will host the Big Ten Tournament at the Bauer Track and Field Complex.

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.