From rap icon to Rutgers: Here are some of Snoop Dogg's most iconic moments

From rapping with the industry's biggest names to game shows and cheffing it up Martha Stewart, Snoop Dogg is one of entertainment's most renowned icons — and for good reason. – Photo by Snoop Dogg / Twitter

Rutgers students: We're in luck. In case you missed it, Snoop Dogg will be performing at SHI Stadium on Saturday at 8:30 p.m. The rapper recently announced his latest project, "The Algorithm," and has a vast discography that's sure to please during this weekend's performance.

Whether you’re a fan of his music, you’ve seen memes about him or you just recognize his name, Snoop Dogg is the epitome of a cultural icon. And with an entertainment career that’s spanned nearly 30 years, there's no shortage of iconic Snoop Dogg moments.

Here are some of his most memorable ones:

Syllabus Cameo

Imagine: It’s your first week of classes, and all you’ve been doing is reading syllabus after syllabus. Even worse, your classes are virtual, so all of your classes seem to be blending together, and it’s hard to stay focused.

You log onto your next class, preparing for the same old syllabus review session. But instead of your professor, there he is: Snoop Dogg telling you to read your syllabus. “Syllabus — I know all about it,” he says.

It turns out, Snoop Dogg created a Cameo video for all of us university students struggling to get through online classes. And honestly, his message is still pretty inspiring today. I don’t know about you, but I think I’m going to go and read over my syllabus again — it’s what Snoop Dogg would want.

"Pie in the horse"

“Family Feud” is a show that gets people to say lots of unexpected things, but Snoop Dogg really takes the cake — or should I say, the pie — with this one. When asked to fill in the blank after the phrase “pie in the,” Snoop Dogg responded with “horse” to everyone’s confusion.

Steve Harvey and Snoop Dogg’s families were left wondering what he possibly could have meant by this, but he didn’t offer any more explanation. (He did still win the money for charity, though!) While we may never know exactly what wisdom can be found in the phrase “pie in the horse,” there’s one thing we do know: Snoop Dogg’s thinking is certainly one-of-a-kind.

His legendary cooking show with Martha Stewart

After a successful music career, a ton of songwriting credits and even a few movie appearances, what do you do next? Well, if you’re Snoop Dogg, the answer is obvious: create a cooking show with morning show icon Stewart.

The pair started their show “Martha & Snoop’s Potluck Dinner Party” in 2016, and it’s still going today. Their friendship might seem random, but it turns out they actually go more than a decade back. And their show is probably not like any other cooking show you’ve seen. The two of them compete to cook the best recipes, crack lots of jokes and are even joined by other celebrities and special guests throughout the episodes!

Walk of Fame speech

In 2018, Snoop Dogg got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. In his speech, he thanks a number of people, including his family, his mentors and other rappers and artists he’s worked with. But then, he thanks the most important person of all: himself.

And you know what? He has a point. We should all believe in ourselves and our ability to follow our dreams. So thank you, Snoop Dogg.

Twitch streams

Twitch streaming has become an increasingly popular social platform, and one of the latest streamers is none other than Snoop Dogg, himself. Except it seems that his streams don’t always run as smoothly as some of the more seasoned pros.

In July 2021, Snoop Dogg accidentally muted his streams for a whole week, so his fans who tuned in had to watch him play video games in silence, according to PC Gamer. Even funnier, his streams don’t allow for comments in words, so the fans who tried to tell him about the audio issue had to do so using only Twitch emojis.

Eventually, though, he got his audio back up and running, so now he can go back to making all the game commentary he wants.

Whether you're a 2020 or 2021 graduate coming back for this weekend's event or a current student who was lucky enough to get a ticket, Snoop Dogg's performance at SHI Stadium is one you won't want to miss.