FDA is expected to authorize 'mix-and-match' coronavirus booster shots this week

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is also expected to authorize the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson coronavirus disease (COVID-19) booster shots this week. – Photo by Pxhere.com

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is expected to make an announcement this week authorizing the mixing and matching of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) booster shots, according to an article from NJ Advance Media

This announcement is also likely to come alongside the authorization of the Moderna and Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 booster shots, and comes after the recent authorization of a third dose of the Pfizer vaccine last month, according to the article.

While the FDA is expected to authorize mixing and matching, it is also anticipated to state that maintaining consistency with the original vaccine course is still preferable, especially for those who have received the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines which have been demonstrated to be the most effective.

The FDA is still finalizing recommendations for the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine, according to the article.

Some benefits of authorizing the mixing and matching of booster shots could include helping to relieve supply chain issues, making the process easier for those interested in receiving the shot and allowing individuals who might have had negative reactions to their initial dose to try a different shot. 

This decision will come after the U.S. previously stated it would recognize the mixing and matching of vaccines administered outside of the country, given its prominence in Canada and European countries during the early stages of the vaccination campaign, for individuals entering the U.S., according to the article.