Rutgers women's soccer looks to extend winning streak to five games against Princeton

Sophomore midfielder Sara Brocious has scored 3 goals in 4 games for Rutgers this season.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

Looking to continue a perfect start to the 2021 season, on Thursday night, the Rutgers women’s soccer team will play host to Princeton in a rivalry game.

The No. 9 Scarlet Knights (4-0, 0-0) have found the back of the net multiple times in their first four games, outscoring their opponents 22-1 so far. This production comes from the top and starts with senior midfielder/forward Frankie Tagliaferri. The senior has brought immediate results after transferring to Rutgers in the offseason, netting herself at least 1 goal in every game so far and leading the program with 5 for the season.

Sophomore midfielder Sara Brocious and sophomore midfielder/forward Sam Kroeger have been making contributions early in the season for the Knights. They have scored 3 and 4 goals this season, respectively.

Freshman forward Riley Tiernan has found a way to be successful and make an impact by feeding her teammates the ball consistently. With a team-leading five assists, Tiernan started her career on the Banks off and running, earning Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors. 

The Rutgers defense has also had a strong start, only allowing one goal this season and having kept opponents to single-digit shots in their last 32 games since 2019, led by senior back/midfielder Gabby Provenzano, who was just announced as the Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week.

In their last match, the Tigers (3-0-1, 0-0-0) went to Georgetown and tied, scoring a goal to take the lead before conceding and being held to a draw.

Princeton’s production in the 2021 season has been led by Tatum Gee, who has totaled a team-high six points and 2 goals. Gee added to her point total with the assist that led to the game-opening goal against Georgetown.

“Everyone wants to get a ball in the back of the net, and everyone wants everyone to get a ball in the back of the net,” said sophomore midfielder Emily Sapienza after the Knights victory against La Salle. “Our chemistry is awesome, and even if you don’t get that ball in the back of the net, you’re part of it. Everyone’s a part of it.”

Rutgers and the Tigers are set to play at Yurcak Field at 7 p.m., with the game being broadcasted live on Big Ten Network+.

For updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.