Rutgers women's soccer falls to Princeton

Freshman forward Riley Tiernan provided two goals as the Rutgers women’s soccer team lost a thrilling 4-3 game to Princeton.  – Photo by Dustin Satloff / Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers women’s soccer team endured its first loss of the season against state rival Princeton here at Yurcak Field. 

The No. 9 Scarlet Knights (4-1-0, 0-0-0) started the game off in complete control against the Tigers (4-0-1, 0-0-0) with Rutgers leading by two goals in the 21st minute. Both scored by freshman forward Riley Tiernan, who added 4 points to her now 11-point career, and assisted by freshman back Emily Mason for the first goal, and senior captain forward Amirah Ali for the second.

The Knights had a comfortable lead until a 32nd-minute corner scored by Madison Curry and assisted by Heather MacNab put Princeton one goal behind Rutgers toward the end of the first half.

The Knights saw two yellow cards this game against Ali and freshman back Kassidy Banks. Thirteen other fouls were called on Rutgers, and 13 total fouls were called on the Tigers.

A goal by junior back Allison Lynch put the Knights back in a two-goal lead after the start of the second half, making it her first goal of the season and her first 2 points of the season. Sophomore midfielder Becci Fluchel aided the goal with her first assist of the season. 

Rutgers, shortly after, suffered a penalty kick goal from MacNab. Princeton scored again to tie the game 3-3 at the 70th minute with a goal from Lily Bryant, assisted by MacNab. Another penalty was then awarded to the Tigers, giving them the lead and MacNab a hat trick at the 74th minute. 

While the Knights led in shots on goal and corners, Princeton was able to capitalize on set pieces scoring a majority of their goals from corners and penalty kicks. 

Rutgers will travel to No. 24 Georgetown on Sunday at 1 p.m., with hopes of bouncing back from its performance tonight.

For updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.