No. 16 Rutgers women's soccer hosts Drexel on Thursday night

Freshman forward Riley Tiernan lead Rutgers' offense with two goals against Princeton on Thursday. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers women’s soccer team is looking to get back in the win column in its game against Drexel this Thursday at 7 p.m. at Yurcak Field.

The No. 16 Scarlet Knights' (4-2, 0-0) four-game win streak ended in a close-fought match against Princeton, their first loss of the season. Although they led against the Tigers (5-0-1, 0-0-0) in 3-1, they lost the lead in the final 15 minutes. They also led in shots, 16-9. Two of the three goals scored by Rutgers were from freshman forward Riley Tiernan in the first half.

After their Thursday loss, the Knights went to Washington, D.C., to face Georgetown. After a 1-0 loss, Rutgers is eager to meet the Dragons (4-1-1, 0-0-0) to stop their two-game slide.

“We created chances and had opportunities but just couldn't find the back of the net,” said senior back Shea Holland after the loss to the Hoyas (3-0-4, 0-0-0). “However, we will learn from this game and continue to grow.”

Drexel, coming off a two-game win streak, is a tough matchup for any team. The Dragons previous game ended in a 3-1 victory over UMass Lowell. Drexel, like the Knights, dominated in shots in their previous match, holding a 25-8 advantage. Their only loss this season came against Villanova.

The Dragons also have the longest unbeaten streak in their conference with five games. Delaney Lappin and Melissa Lyon both scored in their last game and are scoring leaders for Drexel.

Rutgers senior forward Frankie Tagliaferri has had a fast start to her career on the Banks, leading the Big Ten in both goals and assists this season. Tiernan is tied for the conference’s assist leader, with 6 in the 7 games the Knights have played.

Senior forward Amirah Ali, sophomore forward Sam Kroeger and sophomore midfielder Sara Brocious are among the top five scorers of the Knights. Both sophomores have eight points for the season.

Both teams have held opponents to 6 goals or fewer for the season. Rutgers, however, scores more than the Dragons. Drexel averages 1.83 goals per game compared to the Knights’ 4.167, the highest in the Big Ten. Rutgers also has the most accurate shooters in the Big Ten with the highest shot on goal to goal average, 12.17, in their conference.

The game will be streamed on Big Ten Network+, and will be broadcasted for radio listeners on 88.7 WRSU.

For updates on the Rutgers women's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.