No. 10 Rutgers field hockey has strong weekend with ranked wins over Monmouth, Delaware

Senior midfielder Milena Redlingshoefer registered 1 goal on 2 shots on goal in Rutgers' game against Monmouth.  – Photo by Emma Garibian

The Rutgers field hockey team recorded a pair of ranked victories this weekend, defeating No. 20 Monmouth 3-2 on Friday before traveling to Newark and finishing its weekend with a 2-0 victory over No. 22 Delaware. 

Looking to recover from a 1-goal loss in their last game, the No. 10 Scarlet Knights (6-1, 0-0) scored nearly 11 minutes into the game against the Hawks (5-3, 0-0). Senior midfielder Milena Redlingshoefer scored on a penalty stroke, good for her third goal of the season.

Rutgers maintained the 1-goal lead until nearly 5 minutes before halftime, when senior back Kerrie Burns won a battle for the ball in the shooting circle and put the ball in the back of the net for her second of the season. 

Eighty-six seconds later, freshman midfielder Guillermina Causarano escaped from two defenders in front of the net and scored her first career goal as she fell to her knees, giving the Knights a 3-goal lead. The assist on the goal was junior midfielder Carly Snarski’s first for her college career. 

Monmouth notched its first tally of the game with 2 minutes to go in the half following a corner and a scramble in front of the goal. Following the final whistle of the first half, Rutgers made a change in net, relieving starter senior goalkeeper Gianna Glatz and bringing in sophomore goalkeeper Sophia Howard. Glatz ended the day with two saves. 

The Hawks added another score in the final frame but weren’t able to add another as the Knights moved the in-state rivalry record to 6-4 in favor of the team on the Banks. 

Rutgers’ offensive attack was more than what just appeared on the scoreboard. The Knights had eight shots on goal, the same amount as the total amount of shots for Monmouth. 

In the weekend’s second matchup against the Blue Hens (2-6, 0-0), Rutgers wasted no time getting on the board as freshman midfielder Lucy Bannatyne found the back of the net for the fourth time this season. Junior forward Rachel Houston was credited with her second assist of the year. 

With less than 2 minutes in the first quarter, Burns scored her third tally of the year. The score remained 2-0 for the next three quarters and stayed the same until the final buzzer.

The Knights fired five shots on goal while Glatz got the start in net and made four saves for Rutgers.

The Knights take to the field next Friday to take on No. 4 Northwestern. Rutgers travels to Evanston, Illinois for a 4 p.m. matchup.

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.