Kimberly Hopely to serve as next president of Rutgers University Foundation

Kimberly Hopely, the next president of the Rutgers University Foundation, previously held several positions including senior vice president and chief development officer at Arizona State University. – Photo by Rutgers.edu

University President Jonathan Holloway announced on Monday that Kimberly Hopely will serve as the next president of the Rutgers University Foundation as well as executive vice president for development and alumni engagement, according to a press release.

Hopely’s appointment was approved by the Rutgers Board of Governors and Rutgers University Foundation Board of Directors following a national search for the role, with her term set to begin on Oct. 11, according to the release.

“Hopely brings a wealth of experience in organizational leadership and fundraising strategy to Rutgers at a key moment as we are in the early stages of our next comprehensive fundraising campaign,” Holloway said. “With enormous thanks to our search committee, led by Margaret Marsh, I am confident that, in (Hopely), we have made a brilliant choice for taking the foundation to even greater levels of success in supporting our mission.”

Hopely previously spent six years working at Arizona State University, where she served as senior vice president and chief development officer, according to the press release. During her time there, she led a fundraising campaign totaling $2.35 billion and helped increase base unit fundraising from $90 million per year to $275 million per year.

Prior to this role, some of her experience involved serving as senior director of operations and development at Banner Health Foundation as well as senior director of development and assistant vice president for university advancement at A.T. Still University of Health Science.

“I understand the impact education has, not just on the student who becomes a contributing member of society, but to one's family whose trajectory is altered as a result,” Hopely said. “For over 25 years, I have had the privilege of connecting people with causes where they can make a difference. I look forward to working alongside President Jonathan Holloway and the Rutgers University Foundation board and staff to advance the future of Rutgers and extend the impact of its reach."

As she begins this role, Hopely’s responsibilities will include providing leadership, vision and management for the University’s development and alumni engagement programs, according to the release. She will also ensure the goals of the University’s fundraising team are consistent with its strategic priorities, as well as will work to maintain relationships with Rutgers alumni.

“We are thrilled (Hopely) will bring her exemplary record of leadership and philanthropic success to Rutgers to lead the foundation in this exciting new era,” said Philip Scalo, Rutgers University Foundation board chair.