FEMA representatives to visit New Brunswick amid Tropical Storm Ida’s aftermath

The Federal Emergency Management Agency will set up a Disaster Recovery Center in New Brunswick this Saturday in order to provide help to residents and business owners affected by Tropical Storm Ida.  – Photo by Olivia Thiel

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will return to New Brunswick on Saturday to provide aid to individuals impacted by Tropical Storm Ida, according to a press release from the City of New Brunswick.

Representatives from FEMA will work with residents and business owners who were affected by the storm to help them file a disaster relief claim or check on the status of their claim, according to the release. They will also be available to provide housing and rental assistance information to those who faced flooding or other damages.

Impacted individuals who are interested in seeking aid should visit the New Brunswick Free Public Library at 60 Livingston Ave., which will act as the city’s FEMA Disaster Recovery Center, from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., according to the release. No appointment is required.

While a representative from the Small Business Administration will not be present, business owners who suffered flooding or other damages are still able to visit the library and take advantage of FEMA assistance to file their claim.

Additionally, FEMA representatives will be canvassing New Brunswick in an effort to offer assistance to residents. 

Middlesex County is 1 of 12 counties covered under FEMA’s Major Disaster Declaration, which allows homeowners to apply through FEMA for financial assistance to help repair damages to their homes that occurred from the storm, said Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) in a press conference yesterday.

He said the easiest way for individuals to start this process is to visit disasterassistance.gov as well as visit their local FEMA Disaster Recovery Center, where they can meet directly with representatives to ask questions and start applications.

“We are committed to working in partnership with the Biden Administration and FEMA, and county and local governments and organizations, to help every impacted New Jerseyan,” Murphy said.