Rutgers prohibits marijuana use, distribution, possession on campus for fall 2021

The University will not allow marijuana use, distribution or possession on campus for fall 2021 despite state legalization due to federal law requirements. – Photo by Pixabay.com

Marijuana use will remain forbidden on campus for the Fall 2021 semester despite the decriminalization of marijuana possession and recreational use in New Jersey for those older than 21 years old, said University officials in an announcement yesterday.

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) signed three bills back in February that legalized recreational use of marijuana for adults, decriminalized cannabis possession in small amounts and created an industry for it in the state, The Daily Targum previously reported.

But this does not affect the University’s obligation to follow federal law, said Antonio M. Calcado, executive vice president for strategic planning and operations and Prabhas V. Moghe, executive vice president for academic affairs, according to the announcement.

“In summary, while cannabis has been decriminalized in New Jersey, it remains illegal and subject to prosecution under federal law,” they said. “For Rutgers and other public universities, receipt of federal funds in the form of student loans, grants and research support is explicitly conditioned on our compliance with federal drug laws.”

The University’s decision was informed by a Cannabis Decriminalization Impact Task Force that University President Jonathan Holloway formed to consider federal law requirements and the implications of state marijuana legalization for the Rutgers community. The task force submitted a final report in early June with findings and recommendations being implemented for the Fall 2021 semester.

The prohibition of recreational and medicinal marijuana applies to anyone on Rutgers property and at University events, including visitors, Moghe and Calcado said, according to the email. Additional information and links to updated policies regarding marijuana can be found on the Rutgers cannabis information page.