Boil water advisory is lifted for Piscataway, surrounding areas

Residents in Piscataway and neighboring towns no longer need to boil water before using it.  – Photo by Pixabay

The mandatory boil water advisory that was put in place Monday as a result of a water main break in Piscataway was lifted this morning by New Jersey American Water, according to an email from Rutgers Public Safety. 

“Analytical results from bacteriological samples taken from the water system met all state and federal water quality standards from samples collected on Tuesday,” the email stated. “The advisory was issued on Monday, Aug. 2 as a precautionary measure due to a loss of pressure from a transmission main leak along Possumtown Road in Piscataway.”

​​Individuals in Piscataway, Edison, Clark, Dunellen, Green Brook, Linden, Middlesex, Roselle and South Plainfield no longer have to boil their water, but they should flush items such as household pipes, water fountains and ice makers before using for drinking or cooking purposes.

Guidelines for this include individually running all cold-water faucets for 3 to 5 minutes and water fountains for one minute at the highest possible flow rate without splashing or flooding, running water softeners and cartridge filters through a regeneration cycle as per manufacturer’s guidelines as well as making and discarding three batches of ice prior to use.

In addition, hot water heaters with temperatures below 113 degrees Fahrenheit and water reservoirs in tall buildings should be drained and refilled.

“As the system has fully recovered from the issue, customers in these communities and surrounding towns (also) no longer need to conserve their non-essential water use and may resume using water as usual,” the email stated.