U. makes additional changes to Guide to Returning to Rutgers

All Rutgers—New Brunswick and Rutgers—Camden recreation centers will open back up to faculty and staff starting on Monday, according to the guide.  – Photo by Rutgers University / Twitter

Additional updates were recently made to the Guide to Returning to Rutgers in areas including recreation centers, events and coronavirus disease (COVID-19) vaccinations, said Antonio M. Calcado, executive vice president for strategic planning and operations, in a University-wide email sent on Wednesday.

Rutgers recreation centers on the New Brunswick and Camden campuses will reopen to faculty and staff starting on Monday, but the center at Rutgers—Newark will continue to be available to students only until further notice, he said.

“Recreation centers may have registration and occupancy rules applicable to their specific location, and patrons should familiarize themselves with those,” Calcado said. “Unvaccinated faculty and staff who choose to use the recreation centers may be placing themselves at higher risk than vaccinated employees due to the nature of the activities that occur during exercise.”

In addition, he said several significant changes have been made regarding event protocols in areas including indoor and outdoor events, social distancing, masks, capacity restrictions and rentals. He urged those who are in charge of event planning to become familiar with the updated guidelines. 

One of the guidelines includes the requirement for all in-person events, conferences, planned activities and non-credit academic programs of 25 people or more hosted on University property to be certified through the Event and Activity Certification System, according to the Rutgers Institutional Planning and Operations website

Meetings involving business or administration of the University are not required to be submitted for certification, according to the website. 

Other guidelines state that masks are required for indoor events but not for outdoor events, collection of attendee information is no longer required and maximum capacity for all events will be determined by fire construction code requirements as it was prior to the pandemic.

In regards to COVID-19 vaccinations, Calcado said the University is requiring the vaccine for all health care and Rutgers public safety personnel at all locations regardless of their routine presence in patient care areas or contact with patients.

“The University continues to urge all employees to get vaccinated and upload your vaccination cards to the portal,” he said. “The data clearly demonstrates the safety and efficacy of vaccination, as well as the protection it affords against serious hospitalizations and death. All employees who upload or have already uploaded their cards will be entered into a drawing.”