Rutgers men's basketball adds San Jose State transfer Ralph Agee to 2021 roster

The Rutgers men’s basketball team added graduate forward Ralph Agee to the roster, a transfer from San Diego State who will look to strengthen the Scarlet Knights for the 2021 season.  – Photo by null

In its latest roster move of the summer, the Rutgers men’s basketball team has officially added former San Jose State graduate forward Ralph Agee to the program’s roster for next season. The addition is the Scarlet Knights’ most recent roster news after the team welcomed back senior guard Geo Baker and junior guard Ron Harper Jr. earlier this week. 

Rutgers has been recruiting Agee since he entered the transfer portal in May. Last season as a member of the Spartans, the 6-foot-8-inch Agee averaged approximately 11 points and five rebounds per game on 56.9 percent shooting. In addition, Agee earned Mountain West Conference player of the week honors on Feb. 1.

“I never thought I would be in this position but God has continued to bless me and my talent so I would be able to receive my master’s degree and create a better future for Kai,” Agee said in his Instagram post announcing his decision. “My son is my everything and I’m fortunate enough to be in a position to give him the world.”

A graduate of Silverado High School in Victorville, California, Agee first began his collegiate career at California State University Dominguez Hills before playing his sophomore season at East Los Angeles Community College under head coach John Mosley, who would later be featured on Netflix’s “Last Chance U” series. 

Agee then transferred to San Jose State, where he made 51 appearances and 31 starts in his two seasons with the program.

Agee’s transfer likely represents the last move that head men’s basketball coach Steve Pikiell and his staff will make to the roster for next season. In the midst of constant player movement facilitated by the NBA Draft and the transfer portal, the Knights have been able to retain multiple key pieces to last season’s NCAA Tournament team while adding two new transfers, Agee and Louisiana State University transfer Aundre Hyatt, to the roster. 

Rutgers also will be adding one more new face to the roster through their 2021 recruiting class. Jalen Miller, a three-star guard from Washington D.C., will look to make an impact for the Knights next season. 

While the team's roster might be rounding into form, dates and times for the program’s games next season should be solidified in the next few months. The college basketball season is set to begin on Nov. 9.

For updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.