NBPD investigates 3 shootings reported within past week

The New Brunswick Police Department has increased patrols in the area following the recent incidents. – Photo by Pixabay.com

The New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) and the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office are investigating a fatal shooting that occurred yesterday morning in the area of Comstock Street, according to a press release.

Upon their arrival at the scene at approximately 8:31 a.m., officers reported finding one deceased male victim with an apparent gunshot wound, according to the release. No other information regarding the victim or the perpetrator is available at this time.

This incident is the third shooting reported within the past week. The NBPD is also investigating two other reported shootings, according to two University-wide emails sent out on Saturday and Monday, respectively.

In the first incident, which occurred at approximately 7:30 p.m. on Saturday at Recreation Park near Nichol Avenue and Sanford Street, witnesses reported that two individuals began shooting at each other and fled the scene in unknown directions. 

One perpetrator was reported to flee on foot while the other left the area in a vehicle. The description of the individuals is currently limited, and it is unknown whether they sustained injuries as a result of the incident.

In the second incident, which occurred on Monday at approximately 8:10 p.m. on Hale Street between Paul Robeson Boulevard and Jones Avenue, one victim reported that he was shot by a male perpetrator while walking near the intersection. The victim, who is not affiliated with the University, was taken to a local hospital to treat his injuries.

The perpetrator was reported to have fled the scene on foot, and his description is currently limited.

Police patrols continue to be increased in the area, and anyone with information concerning the incidents or who was around at the time should contact the NBPD.