Francine Conway begins term as new chancellor-provost of Rutgers—New Brunswick

Francine Conway, the new chancellor-provost of Rutgers—New Brunswick, spoke about her upcoming plans in a University-wide email. – Photo by Courtesy of Francine Conway

Francine Conway, former executive vice chancellor for academic affairs, began her term as the new chancellor-provost of Rutgers—New Brunswick on July 1. She sent an email to the Rutgers community on Wednesday regarding the position and her aspirations.

“It is my distinct honor to begin my service as chancellor-provost,” she said. “Having been entrusted with realizing (University President Jonathan) Holloway’s vision for academic excellence, I have a deep and abiding respect for our proven track record of making progress when we work together.”

Conway said that since the beginning of her time at Rutgers in 2016, she has learned a lot from the staff, students and alumni, and she deeply values the contributions and support they provide to the University, according to the email.

In addition, she said that this upcoming academic year will provide new opportunities for the Rutgers community to grow.  

“I will continue to learn from all of you and look forward to partnering with you as we develop an Academic Master Plan that charts the course for our future academic priorities," Conway said. "I will also convene an inclusive and diverse Student Experience Task Force to improve the ways we serve our students’ needs and foster their success. Additionally, I will seek input from our staff as we look for ways to improve our operations and practices.”

She also said that even though the University is going forward with its plans of returning to campus in the fall, it is still important to recognize the challenges that occurred throughout the past academic year with the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, according to the email.

“It will take time to heal and find a new sense of normalcy. But we can and will recover as a community. We are, and will become, stronger together … I look forward to this next phase of our recovery and to seeing you on campus,” Conway said.