NBPD, Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office investigate two shootings

One of 2 victims died in a targeted shooting on Easton Avenue last night. The other is in stable condition. – Photo by Wikimedia.org

The New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) and the Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office are investigating two shootings, one which occurred at approximately 2:10 a.m. today on Easton Avenue between Hamilton and Condict Streets, according to a University-wide email.

It was reported that a man fired a handgun at two people not affiliated with the University who were seated in a vehicle, according to the email. One of the victims died while the other is in stable condition. Officials described the incident as targeted.

The perpetrator fled the scene in a vehicle, and their physical description is currently limited.

Earlier that night, at around 10:45 p.m. on Thursday, the NBPD responded to a shooting in Robeson Village near Gatling Court and Bergen Court that left three people injured, according to an article from NJ Advance Media. Middlesex County Prosecutor Yolanda Ciccone said the shootings appear to be related.

Police patrols have been increased in the area of Easton Avenue, and anyone with information concerning the incident or who was around at the time should contact the NBPD Detective Bureau, according to the email.

The Rutgers University Police Department reminded students to take safety measures, including staying alert, avoiding dark or isolated places and reporting suspicious activity to police.

Editor's Note: A previous version of this article was titled "NBPD, Middlesex County Prosecutor’s Office investigate shooting on Easton Avenue." The article was updated to include details of the first shooting in Robeson Village.