NBPD investigates robbery on George Street, makes arrests

The New Brunswick Police Department made one arrest in connection with the incident. – Photo by David von Diemar / Unsplash

The New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) is investigating a robbery that took place today at approximately 7:24 a.m. near Cook and Douglass campuses, according to an email alert.

The incident took place on George Street between Nichol Avenue and Ryders Lane. The victim, who is not affiliated with Rutgers, reported that he was approached by a male and female perpetrator while walking. The perpetrators showed a firearm and a sharp object before taking the victim's valuables and fleeing in an unknown direction. The victim was not injured during the incident.

The NBPD arrested Sarah Tirado, a 29-year-old resident of Jamesburg, New Jersey in connection with the incident, according to the email. On July 19, they also arrested Norberto Tirado, a 50-year-old resident of Spotswood, New Jersey, according to a separate email alert.

Anyone with information about the incident is advised to contact the NBPD Detective Bureau. The Rutgers University Police Department said students should remain alert, avoid isolated or dark areas, travel in groups and report suspicious activity.

Editor's Note: A previous version of this article was titled "NBPD investigates robbery on George Street, makes one arrest." This article was updated to include details of the second arrest.