Jacob Young announces transfer to Oregon

Senior guard Jacob Young will be transferring to the University of Oregon for the 2021-2022 basketball season. – Photo by Scarletknights.com

In a message delivered via his Twitter page, senior guard Jacob Young announced his decision to transfer to the University of Oregon for the upcoming basketball season.

Back in March, Young had previously revealed that he would be moving on from the Rutgers men’s basketball team in order to enter his name into the 2021 NBA Draft while maintaining his college eligibility.

In his two seasons with the Scarlet Knights (16-12, 10-10), Young played a crucial role in the program’s successful quest to reach the NCAA Tournament for the first time in thirty years and win its first NCAA Tournament game since 1983.

Last season, Young was second on the team in points per game (PPG) averaging 14.1 PPG to go along with a team-high 3.4 assists per game and a conference-leading 1.81 steals per game.

“You have to be open to coaching, and the film work and then you got to do the work,” said head men’s basketball coach Steve Pikiell in an interview from last season. “(Young) has done all of those things and it has shown in his improved play.”

The decision means that Young will be entering his fifth season of college basketball and sixth collegiate year overall. A 2016 graduate of Jack Yates High School in Houston, Texas, Young spent his first two years of college playing at the University of Texas at Austin before sitting out the 2018-2019 season due to NCAA transfer rules as he made his move to Rutgers. 

Since the end of the season, the Knights have now seen four players transfer to different schools. This has been a common theme across college basketball as new transfer rules have encouraged greater player movement across the country.

For Rutgers, the list includes the transfers of Young, junior center Myles Johnson to the University of California, Los Angeles, junior guard Montez Mathis to St. John’s University and junior forward Mamadou Doucoure to LaSalle University

Amid this spring’s departures, the Knights welcomed in Louisiana State University transfer Aundre Hyatt. Meanwhile, senior guard Geo Baker and junior guard/forward Ron Harper Jr., like Young, have entered their names into the NBA draft while maintaining their college eligibility.

“We are thrilled to officially welcome Aundre Hyatt to the Rutgers basketball family,” Pikiell said. “Aundre is a versatile and talented player who is fired up to come back to his home area and help Rutgers basketball continue our ascension in the Big Ten.”

As for Young, he will join the Ducks' (21-7, 14-4) program that reached the Sweet 16 last season as a seventh seed, defeating second-seeded Iowa in the process. He will also follow in the footsteps of his older brother, Joe Young, who spent two seasons playing for Oregon from 2013-2015 and now plays professionally overseas in China.

Jacob Young also becomes the second former Scarlet Knight to transfer to play for the Ducks in three years. In 2019, Eugene Omoruyi transferred to Oregon after spending three seasons at Rutgers.

“I would like to thank (Rutgers) for the opportunity they had given me to obtain my bachelor’s degree and for creating a pathway toward my MBA,” Jacob Young said in March. “To the fans, thanks, you brought the best out of me. You will always be in my heart!”

For updates on the Rutgers men’s basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.