Rutgers to receive $147.8 million in emergency funding through American Rescue Plan

The American Rescue Plan will provide Rutgers its third wave of federal stimulus funding since the start of the pandemic. – Photo by Hayley Slusser

Rutgers will receive approximately $147.8 million in emergency coronavirus disease (COVID-19) funding through the American Rescue Plan, said Rep. Frank Pallone (D-N.J.) Tuesday, according to a press release.

The funding is expected to be distributed as $74,182,727 in emergency student financial aid and $73,638,551 for institutional support, said University spokesperson Dory Devlin. Institutions are required to use approximately half of the funding they receive under the American Rescue Plan to give direct relief to students.

Additionally, the U.S. Department of Education expanded aid eligibility to include all students regardless of immigration status, including undocumented students and international students.

“We are grateful to Congressman Pallone and all the members of the New Jersey delegation who supported this important (COVID-19) relief funding,” Devlin said.

This round of funding comes from the third federal COVID-19 stimulus package. Previously, the University received approximately $54 million under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act, $27 million of which was allocated to student aid.

The University also received approximately $84 million under the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act, with another $27 million going toward student aid, which began being distributed May 7.