RUPD investigates two burglaries on College Avenue, Busch campuses

The Clinical Academic Building on the College Avenue campus was 1 of the 2 locations where burglaries recently occurred, with the perpetrator stealing multiple items of value from the second floor.  – Photo by Rutgershealth.org

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) is investigating two burglaries that recently occurred at the Clinical Academic Building on the College Avenue campus and the School of Pharmacy Building on Busch campus, according to a University-wide email.

In the first burglary, which took place at the Clinical Academic Building between 11 p.m. on Wednesday and 3 a.m. on Thursday, the perpetrator accessed the building while another individual was exiting and proceeded to take multiple valuable items from the second floor, according to the email.

No evidence of forced entry was found, and the area was not occupied at the time.

The perpetrator was described as a tall Black male in his 20s with a thin build and shoulder-length dreadlocks, according to the email. He was originally wearing a white t-shirt, black and white shorts and black sneakers before he changed into blue hospital scrubs, surgical hat and gloves that were taken from the office.

In the second burglary, which occurred on Thursday at the School of Pharmacy Building between 10:45 a.m. and 11:10 a.m., the victim, who is affiliated with the University, came back to her office and found that her wallet was missing from her purse, according to the email. Neither the victim nor the office staff was left with physical injuries.

A male perpetrator was seen by staff in the hallway, and he proceeded to flee the scene once confronted, leaving the wallet behind, according to the email. The perpetrator's description is currently limited.

Anyone with information regarding these incidents or who may have been in these areas at the time should contact the RUPD.

The RUPD reminded individuals to practice safety measures including not leaving valuables unattended or unsecured, securing points of entry to buildings and workspaces, not propping open exterior doors, staying alert to surroundings and reporting suspicious activity to police.