Highlights from Rutgers football's annual spring game

Sophomore running back Aaron Young had a game-high 86 rushing yards as the Rutgers football team participated in its spring scrimmage.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

On Thursday night, the Rutgers football team participated in its annual spring football game. Team Scarlet defeated Team White 23-21 on a last-second field goal from senior kicker Valentino Ambrosio.

“Well, it was a lot of fun being back in the stadium,” said head football coach Greg Schiano. “It was fun to have some of the fans and have the cheerleaders and the band, and the kids really played hard.”

One of the positions that were spotlighted was the Scarlet Knights' running backs. Junior running back Isaih Pacheco looks to return to the starting role this season and saw limited game time, recording one rushing attempt and gaining 6 yards.

The other players in the backfield had more time, with sophomore running back Aaron Young leading the game with 86 rushing yards on 13 carries. The freshmen also came to play, with both running backs Jamier Wright-Collins and Kyle Monangai recording more than 35 yards. Monangai also added a touchdown in the first quarter. 

Sticking with the offensive side of the game, Rutgers also saw contributions from its multiple quarterbacks. With a backup position up for grabs after the transfer of Artur Sitkowski, both sophomore Cole Snyder and freshman Evan Simon had good performances to stake their claim.

Snyder had a near-perfect performance for Team White, going 13 of 16 for 148 yards and two touchdowns. He also added 22 rushing yards and an additional touchdown, making him part of every Team White score during the game. 

“Well, I thought all the quarterbacks played well,” Schiano said. “(Snyder) certainly did. He threw well. He ran well. I thought (Simon) did the same. You look, and they almost have identical lines.”

The Knights had 15 different wide receivers catch a pass during the scrimmage. Freshman tight end Victor Konopka provided three catches for 55 yards, adding to the offensive impact of freshmen during the game.

Senior tight end Jovani Haskins led Team Scarlet with six catches and 58 receiving yards as he looks to improve in his second season on the Banks.

Sophomore wide receiver Isaiah Washington led the game with 76 receiving yards, most of which came on an impressive one-handed touchdown catch.

“I was glad to see him end spring on that note,” said Schiano about Washington. “He's a good player. He's a guy that is a great guy to have on the football team, and I think that he will bring production to the offense come fall.”

On the defensive side, junior linebacker Deion Jennings recorded the only turnover, an interception off of a pass from senior quarterback Johnny Langan. Junior linebacker Jonathan Pimentel led the team with 10 tackles.

“It was really a good night,” Schiano said. “You know, hopefully, visions of things to come in that stadium. It's really fun to have that atmosphere.”

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.