What we can expect from 'Spencer,' long-awaited biopic on Princess Diana

Unlike other films that focus on the conspiracies surrounding Princess Diana’s tragic death, Pablo Larraín’s “Spencer” will take an emotional deep dive into Diana’s personal life, struggles and psyche. – Photo by Flickr.com

In the wake of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s interview with Oprah and the scrutiny surrounding the royal establishment, the upcoming biopic based on Princess Diana, “Spencer,” is generating buzz. 

The title of the film honors Diana's maiden name and stars Kristen Stewart as the noble and highly beloved figure. 

Diana’s story is a tragic one to tell, as she passed away in 1997 in a car crash highly speculated to be orchestrated by the British paparazzi. 

High-quality stills of Stewart as Diana are floating through the Internet — and the resemblance is uncanny. The production of “Spencer” is in full swing, and here’s everything you need to know about it.

Directed by Pablo Larraín, the film won’t focus on Diana’s calamitous death, but rather how she grapples with the weight of her responsibilities while staying true to who she is and what she wants.

It’s set at the royal family’s Sandringham Estate and centers on a crucial weekend in the Princess’ life during the holidays of 1992, when she arrived at the decision that her marriage with Prince Charles was past reparation. 

The heart of the movie is Diana forgoing convention and steering away from the path that would make her Queen — and the internal struggle that comes along with that, according to Larraín.

Stewart was initially a peculiar choice for the role as Diana. But over the years, and long-removed from her “Twilight” days, she has proved her versatility as an actress, dabbling in a handful of indie and mainstream films over the years before landing her iconic role as the late Princess of Wales.

The actress expressed her excitement and enthusiasm for the role, taking extra care to tell Diana’s story as authentically as possible.

"It's one of the saddest stories to exist ever, and I don't want to just play Diana — I want to know her implicitly," she said. She also admitted that nailing Diana’s distinctive British accent required significant effort.

“The accent is intimidating as all hell because people know that voice and it’s so, so distinct and particular,” she said to InStyle back in October. “I’m working on it now and already have my dialect coach.” 

As for the remainder of the cast, Jack Farthing will play Prince Charles, who stars in the drama series “Poldark.” Several acclaimed actors such as Timothy Spall, Sally Hawkins (“The Shape of Water”) and Sean Harris ("Mission: Impossible — Fallout”) are also signed on to the project.

This isn’t the first time Diana has been portrayed on camera. The latest season of “The Crown,” which follows the royal family starting from the early days of Queen Elizabeth II’s reign, also attempts to tell Diana’s story.

But, don’t expect “Spencer” to be a retelling. Steven Knight, who wrote the movie’s script, said that the film will approach it from a different perspective, capturing who Diana really was from those who knew her on a personal level.

“Spencer” will also shine a light on Diana as a mother and her undying love for her children, which was a catalyst for Harry’s approach to royal responsibilities. The Duke of Sussex often remarked that he doesn’t want to partake in a lifestyle that killed his mother.

The production was initiated in Germany but has now relocated to the U.K. New photos of Stewart on set, dressed in one of Diana’s staple looks, with the actors who play young Prince William and Harry have emerged. When this movie comes out, don’t expect to recognize the actress behind her impressively disguised look.

While there’s no official release date, “Spencer” is set to come out in the fall of this year and pay tribute to the Princess nearly 25 years after her death. 

As for now, prepare for an emotional, introspective look at what Diana’s life was like from three pivotal days — the last Christmas she spent with the royal family.