Rutgers field hockey splits weekend series with Iowa, Ohio State

Senior goalkeeper Gianna Glatz recorded her second shutout of the season as the Rutgers field hockey team defeated Ohio State, but also suffered a loss to Iowa in its weekend matchups.  – Photo by Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers field hockey team wrapped up its neutral site games in Virginia Beach, Virginia this weekend going 1-1 over the weekend. The Scarlet Knights (3-1, 3-1) lost to Iowa on Friday, before securing another win over Ohio State on Sunday.

The Hawkeyes (4-0, 3-0) earned their third victory of the season over Rutgers with a score of 1-0. Scoreless at the half, the game remained without a goal until late in the fourth quarter, when Iowa’s Lokke Stribos scored the game-deciding goal. The Knights were unable to get off a shot the entire game compared to the Hawkeyes' six. Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week and senior goalkeeper Gianna Glatz had three saves in the game.

On Sunday, Rutgers was able to rally for a win against the Buckeyes (0-3, 0-3) for the second time this season. The Knights previously beat Ohio State a week prior in an overtime match-up. This time, Rutgers was able to fend off five corner penalties, and Glatz saved every goal of the Buckeyes’ seven shots on goal for the goalkeeper’s second shutout of the season. She now has 15 saves over four games, including a .882 save percentage.

Early in the third quarter, junior midfielder Milena Redlingshoefer helped freshman forward Bridy Molyneaux tie the team lead for goals by assisting the only made goal of the game. It was Molyneaux’s second goal this season and placed Redlingshoefer in the lead for most points on the team with 5.

The Knights have now lost 8 of the last 12 meetings with Iowa, but have won 3 of the last 5. Against Ohio State, Rutgers has now won the last three meetings against them.

After concluding two weekends of neutral site games, the Knights look to next weekend, where they will take on Michigan State. The team is hosting the Spartans (1-2, 0-0) for a pair of match-ups next weekend in Piscataway. The games will begin Friday at 3 p.m and Sunday at 12 p.m. Until then, Rutgers has a week of practice to prepare.

"Today was another hard-fought win with some moments of real quality," said head field hockey coach Meredith Civico. "I'm really proud of how the whole team came together to help us get a positive result and put us in a great position for our upcoming games against Michigan State."

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.