ESPOSITO: Royal family's relationship with British press shows monarchy's weaknesses

Column: Unapologetically

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry sat down for a tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey, where they discussed the royal family's fear of the British media. – Photo by Oprah Winfrey / Twitter

In an interview worth $7 million, Oprah Winfrey sat down to speak with Prince Harry and Meghan Markle in California, where the couple now lives. We were able to get a feel for the new life they live, one with nature, the beach, two dogs and for some reason — a chicken coop.

But millions of people around the world did not tune in on Sunday night for a house tour. We waited with bated breath to see what would be said about the royal family, after Harry and Meghan's unprecedented exit from the royal family in early 2020.

The interview was not disappointing — we learned that Meghan experienced racism within the royal palace, that she was trapped in the house for months due to bad press, that she grew suicidal and would not receive help after asking many times for it.

After these shocking allegations, the U.S., as well any many other countries, covered this at length. The media was either transparent and unbiased or in support of Meghan and Harry. There was little slander about what had been seen.

But the British media, the same institution that used racism as a weapon when it came to insulting Meghan as soon as she made her first appearance with Harry, still continues to refuse to acknowledge any aspect of seeing both sides.

Their biggest headlines on Monday morning was “'Racism drove me out of Britain and the Queen was too busy to meet me': Harry piles on new insults to his family as he accuses his grandmother of snub but CLEARS her and Philip of making race remark” and “PIERS MORGAN: Meghan and Harry nauseating two-hour Oprah whine-athon was a disgraceful diatribe of cynical race-baiting propaganda designed to damage the Queen as her husband lies in the hospital — and destroy the Monarchy.”

In the U.K., the morning after Meghan and Harry detailed all the struggles both mental and physical that they endured, the press did not give them any support. Even after Meghan and Harry largely blamed the press for harassing Meghan, being racist and spiteful toward her, this clearly did nothing to change their attitude.

Why do they not take accountability? It is the age of cancel culture, and they used racist tones when describing Meghan. It is not speculation. We know that.

On this matter, Harry even said, "There's a lot of people who have seen (the treatment of Meghan) for what it was … Like it's talked about across the world yet the very people that don't want to see it, or can't see it, choose not to see it."

What does he mean? This question has two answers. The British press, but the royal family as well.

This iconic interview will be one that is in the news cycle and discussed for a very long time, much like Harry’s mother, the late Princess Diana’s own interview, which broke down barriers and exposed the royal family for numerous reasons. But, something that has yet to be touched on enough is the relationship between the press and the royal family that was discussed by Oprah.

On the press and the royal family, Harry said “They need each other. The monarchy being afraid that if they lose the support of the public, they could go away themselves.”

The rich and powerful monarchy is scared of The Daily Mail. And this is the moment where you realize the power of the people. The royal family no longer has much power. They cannot pass laws, create executive orders — the little political power they have left, it would be frowned upon to use.

They cannot affect the way of life in the U.K. Their task is philanthropy, to be figureheads, to shake hands and have weddings. And above all, to stay relevant.

Oprah is right when she continuously described it just two days ago as a family business. It may not be as much of a family business as “The Godfather,” but the royal family does their part to keep their legacy alive.

The moment the press stops to care, the people will too. And the moment the people stop looking to them and idolizing them, there is truly nothing left for them to do. So, they had to throw Meghan to the wolves? That is fine to them. Better her than the whole family.

Laura Esposito is a School of Arts and Sciences junior majoring in journalism and political science. Her column, "Unapologetically," runs on alternate Tuesdays.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.