Rutgers women's lacrosse team names captains for 2021 season

The women's lacrosse team recently named five captains who will lead the team through the 2021 season.  – Photo by The Daily Targum

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team has named junior attacker Marin Hartshorn, senior attacker Hannah Hollingsworth, senior midfielder Julia Lytle, senior attacker Taralyn Naslonski and senior defender Dana Pena as captains for the 2021 season. The Scarlet Knights come into the new season after finishing the shortened 2020 season at 5-4.

Women's lacrosse head coach Melissa Lehman said she is eager to see how the new captains lead the team. She is preparing for her second season at Rutgers after starting last season 4-0, a feat that the program had not accomplished in a decade.

“I am excited to announce (Hollingsworth), (Lytle), (Naslonski), (Pena) and (Hartshorn) as our captains who will lead us during the 2021 season,” Lehman said. “They lead by example and care deeply about the success of this team and their teammates both on and off the field. They have worked so hard over the past 10 months to unite this team, and I cannot wait to see what Rutgers lacrosse achieves this season with these five leading the way.”

Hartshorn, in her two years with the program, has started all 25 games with 54 points and 29 goals. Last season, the attacker led the team in assists and was fourth in points in the shortened season that the Knights played.

Naslonski is 18th in school history with 119 career points, made up of 87 goals and 32 assists. Last year, she finished first in points and second in goals during the shortened season. In 2019, she became the first player to score 60 or more goals in a season since 2010.

Pena has appeared in 11 career games during her three years at Rutgers. Six of those appearances came last season, including a career game against Lafayette where the defender recorded a career-high six draw controls.

Lytle has been a consistent contributor for the Knights. In 31 career games, she has scored 7 goals, 15 points and eight assists. Last season, she registered 5 points in the nine-game season.

Hollingsworth has appeared in 22 games over her career at Rutgers. She registered 6 points last season, fueled by multi-point games against the Leopards and Marist.

All five of the 2021 captains were named to the 2020 Academic All-Big Ten team for maintaining a GPA of 3.0 or above. Pena and Lytle were also honored as Big Ten Distinguished Scholars.

For more updates on the Rutgers women's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.