Rutgers women's basketball set to take on Indiana on Thursday

The Rutgers women's basketball team is set to play its first game since Jan. 3 when they face off against Indiana on Thursday. – Photo by The Daily Targum

After more than one month since its last game, the Rutgers women’s basketball team is set to take on Indiana in Bloomington on Thursday. The Scarlet Knights (5-3, 1-3) last played on Jan. 3, when they lost to Nebraska by a score of 53-50. Since then, Rutgers has had seven games postponed, with its original matchup against the No. 17 Hoosiers (10-4, 8-2) being postponed from Jan. 18

The Knights’ last win came on Dec. 23, 2020 when they defeated Manhattan by a score of 84-41. With the win, Rutgers swept out its non-conference schedule. 

Indiana comes into this matchup after a win against Michigan State on Sunday. In their last ten games, the Hoosiers are 8-2, with their two losses both coming against ranked opponents No. 10 Maryland and No. 11 Ohio State. 

In its most recent meeting, Indiana bested the Knights by a score of 78-60 on March 6, 2020. Rutgers last defeated the Hoosiers on Feb. 18, 2019, winning 69-61. 

Through eight games, the Knights’ leading scorer is senior guard Arella Guirantes, averaging approximately 23 points per game (PPG). Guirantes’ scoring average ranks third amongst Big Ten players. She also leads the team in steals, blocks and total rebounds, with 25, 19 and 57 respectively. The senior's defensive efforts have helped Rutgers rank as the number one defense in the Big Ten, allowing approximately 57 PPG. 

Freshman guard Diamond Johnson leads the team in three-point scoring, shooting an average of 46.2 percent outside of the arc. Johnson’s field goal percentage of 53.6 percent is the fourth highest in the Big Ten. Johnson was also recently named a top 10 candidate for the Nancy Lieberman Point Guard Award Watch List

For Indiana, Mackenzie Holmes leads the team in scoring, with approximately 18 PPG, as well as rebounding (97) and blocking (40). Holmes’ blocks are good for second among all of the Big Ten. Just last season, Holmes was selected to the Big Ten All-Freshman team.

Similar to the Knights, the Hoosiers have been a strong defensive team thus far, allowing approximately 58 PPG, with only Rutgers allowing fewer points among Big Ten teams.  

With a win on Thursday, the Knights will be able to snap a two-game losing streak and achieve their first win over a ranked opponent this season.

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.